• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quiz time ! Win some coins NCS-NGC watch the processes

23 posts in this topic

Hi all.. i have not run a Quiz for a while so i thought it may be fun to run one on my latest submission :applause:

i am submitting ten coins to NCS and then to NGC so this should be a great test for you all out there !

The Question is what grade do you think nine of the coins will come back with once conserved then graded ?

The prizes are 1st a handful of roman coins and 5 runners up prizes of 1971 GB mint sets in blue folders.. so go on have a guess !!!!!

the first coin is an already graded 1872 MS62 Shield nickel F-122 which i have left out of the Quiz as i could not scan it..hopefully it may get a 63 !

Coin 2:

1867 shield nickel

NCS2.jpg

NCS2r.jpg

Coin 3:

1868 Shield nickel

NCS3.jpg

NCS3r.jpg

Coin 4:

1868 Shield nickel

NCS4.jpg

NCS4r.jpg

Coin 5:

1868 Shield nickel

NCS5.jpg

NCS5r.jpg

Coin 6:

1868 Shield nickel

NCS6.jpg

NCS6r.jpg

Coin 7:

1900 o Morgan dollar

NCS7.jpg

NCS7r.jpg

Coin 8:

1865 2 Cent

NCS8-1.jpg

NCS8r-1.jpg

Coin 9:

1875 CC Dime

NCS9-1.jpg

NCS9r-1.jpg

Coin 10:

1831 Half dime

NCS10-1.jpg

NCS10r.jpg

Hopefully this post will also be helpful for you to see how raw coins can grade after conservation ...

please remember this is for fun so have fun with it :)

PS. the coins arrived at NCS on the 29th Sep

I'm not posting a guess on grades because I have not studied the Shield nickels enough but Coin #3 has some of the most pronounced and coolest doubling I have ever seen. Do you know the Variety # for it? I may have to try and find one of those..

I'm not posting a guess on grades because I have not studied the Shield nickels enough but Coin #3 has some of the most pronounced and coolest doubling I have ever seen. Do you know the Variety # for it? I may have to try and find one of those..

Thanks for the question.

as far as i know its an unlisted variety. But is a Rev Hub IIb FS # 002.95 just to add to the mix.. this one was found in a job lot of 3 shields on USA eBay .. so keep looking ..

Dooly, nice pics of some nice coins. Here is my guess, as this is just my humble opinion, don't kill me! lol

2) Fine 12

3) Fine 12

4) VF 30

5) VG 8

6) VF 30

7) No Grade Improper Cleaning

8) EF 40

9) EF 40

10) No grade Damaged/corroded

Cheers for the guesses

the No: 10 looks like some kind of pcv/glue residue to me..

the only killing i will be doing this weekend is ducks lol so no need to worry there !

Hi all results finally in .. It has taken a massive 2months for them to be finalised .. and i should get them back sometime next week..

anyone else fancy a "guesstamate" before i release the results ??..

cheers to you all dooly :devil:

here goes a shot in the dark:)

#2 vf20

#3 f12

#4 f15

#5 f12

#6 xf40

#7 ms63

#8 vf30

#9 vf 20

#10 vf25

My guess of my guesses is 4 of 9 are within 1 grade lol:insane:

thanks dooly :cool:

I'm assuming this guessing is open to anyone... if I'm not allowed, just consider mine for my benefit.

2. VF20

3. F12

4. F12

5. VG8

6. VF30

7. MS62

8. XF45

9. VF30

10. XF40

I'm very interested in seeing the conservation. I frankly, have been out of the hobby so long, I know little about this service. I'm assuming you will be showing before and after pics?

Yep i will be posting the pictures but i will not have received them back by Sunday but as soon as they come back i will post them

Ps check out the coins i sent and the results of my last lot in world coins forum

:hi: hi all are you ready for it here are the grades lol

Coin: 1 (Not in the Quiz) Originally a NGC MS-62 Unconserved

NOW a 1872 DDO VP006 MS-61 ( yep dropped a grade when conserved) but gained a VP and has a population of 3. so a mixed one Eh!

Coin: 2 Bodybagged

Coin: 3 Bodybagged

Coin: 4 Bodybagged

Coin: 5 Bodybagged

Coin: 6 Bodybagged

Coin: 7 1900 o Morgan $ MS-65 (happy with that !)

Coin: 8 Now a 1865/1865 Fancy 5 VP002 AU-55 (amazed with that grade) Population 0f 13

Coin: 9 Bodybagged

Coin: 10 Bodybagged

Pictures to follow when the coins get back to me.

Well what do you all think of that then. I was thinking that at least a couple of the Shields would grade. it will be interesting to see whats on the BB's when i receive them hm

So the winner is a tie between

Revenant & Dan8402 for the actual coins which did grade

But Reverant gave lower grades for the rest of the coins so i have awarded him the first place (sorry DAN8402)

Seen as there was only 7 others who entered i will gladly send them a blue mint set of UK 1971 if they wish just pm me with your addresses

All the best dooly :devil:

Hi all finally got the coins back today and for some reason they did not come back in bodybags!!!!

Coin 2

came back way better but Improperly cleaned !! and also with out the Missing leaf designation ? Do they not list this Yet at NGC ?

5104492-002.jpg

Coin 3

Also came back as Imp cleaned But did get the designation of 1868 DDO Rev of 68 VP-002 I have tried to look this up but i have been unable to find it in the NGC census..

5104492-003.jpg

Coin 4

Also Imp cleaned and came listed as 1868 18/18 Rev of 67 VP-020 also i have been unable to find one graded

5104492-004.jpg

Coin 5

Imp cleaned 1868 Rev of 68

5104492-005.jpg

Coin 6

Imp cleaned 1868 Rev of 67

5104492-006.jpg

Coin 9

Environmental damage

5104492-009.jpg

Coin 10

This is the most upsetting of them all as it has come back in stunning condition (sorry about the scan) as 1831 H10C LM-1.2 with only 4 graded and in AU condition .. :censored:

5104492-010.jpg

As for the Graded 3 well the Morgan came back in very nice condition (thumbs u

1900o.jpg

dooly :devil:

Is anyone else surprised by the (IMO) very high detail grades given to those shield nickels? EF and AU details? Some of those have very obvious and (in some cases) pretty heavy wear, or what I'm interpreting as wear. Weak strikes then?

That's too bad, Dooly. They all look like they would have been very nice. On the other hand, the 1900-O Morgan looks just awful. Send it to me if you can't stand looking at it.

Chris