• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thanks David W. Lange- 1934 Article

4 posts in this topic

I just read David W. Lange's article "The Washington Quarters of 1934" in the September 2003 issue of "Numismatic" and I'd like to pass along a personal "Thank You!" for a great article.

In the article he describes the different obverse types on the 1934 Washington Quarters. Most of us know the "Light" and "Heavy" motto's but he describes a 3rd "Thicker" motto in which the middle vertex of the "W" in "We" extends above the Left and Right Strokes of the "W". (I hope I got that right). This change first appeared in 1934, it wasn't used in 1935 and to add my own little observation, you can see the raised vertex on all Quarters from 1936-1964. From 1965-> 1998 the vertex is shorter than the left and right strokes and as of the State Quarters the vertex is even with the left and right strokes.

Between the P and D issues in 1934, there are a total of 5 different subtypes. Light-P, Heavy-P, Heavy(Vertex)-P, Heavy-D and Heavy(Vortex)-D. Thanks to Mr. Lange, I am now on a mission to find those third subtypes for both the P&D mints.

Washington's are only part of what I collect but if I could read an article or two a month in regards to items such as this, I'd be in hog heaven. Do you have any more Mister Lange?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes - superb article! Dave's regular writings for the Numismatist are excellent and his books are worth every dime and more. smile.gif

Hoot

I read as many of the coin rags as I can find but have never read "Numismatic". I got a trial as a new member of the ANA.

Does he often write about varieties? I honestly don't see too much information from the magazines about varieties, especially when it comes to coins I collect. If this is a small sample of what I might see in "Numismatic", then I will definately consider a subscription when my trial ends. Does David Lange have a website?

Dave

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Dakra,

Thanks for the kind words. I've been writing a monthly column for (The) Numismatist since 1988. The current series focuses on little-known technical features of USA coinage.

While I highly recommend ANA membership, those who don't wish to join may still read my column as it's reprinted some months later in NGC's online newsletter. I believe there's a link for receiving this on the NGC homepage.

Regarding my website, as an NGC employee this is it!