• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone please give me an estimate?

10 posts in this topic

Gold prices have been climbing lately. And with gold at over $700 an ounce it really makes me curious. How much is my gold coin collection worth? I haven't really thought of it until now.

Is it possible someone could help me come up with an estimate? Taking into value the bullion value of some coins, and the numismatic add-on's to the others.

Here's what I have:

1.Uncirculated british gold sovereign 1913. I believe it has almost 1/4 oz. (This is the one I said awhile ago I scratched. I believe it doesn't have any numismatic value, just bullion)

2.NGC MS64 1908 $20 No Motto Saint Gaudens. Common date, but I believe due to its grade and type it has some nusmimatic value.

3. PCGS 1908 AU58 $5 indian. Not uncirculated but very close. I believe this coin definitely has some bullion value. $5 and $10 indians seem to cost alot of money. Not sure why, but I think it's because the series was made for a short period of time and there aren't many.

4. 1904 PCGS MS62 $20 Liberty. I think this coin has numismatic value, if just a little bit. It's a very common date.

5. 1900 Victoria PCGS AU58 gold sovereign. Not sure if it has numismatic value.

6. 1 gram gold bar by pamp suisse.

7. Mexican 2 peso gold coin. Very small coin

8. Australian gold nugget .9999 fine 1/20 oz.

9. 1915 Austria gold ducat. These are very thin because of medievil coins. It's pure bullion I believe, I also think its a restrike. Many of these coins were restruck.

10. Chinese 10 Yuan. I posted this coin awhile ago, orginally some people thought it was only plated but I found out it was solid gold. Very small coin. I paid $25 for it. It's 0.0321 AGW (Actual gold weight)

11. Finally I have a gold fanam. I only paid around $10 for it, they usually sell $15 or so. It has a piece of paper that says: Gold Fanam, TamillNadu-Gangee,Raja Ram, 1690-98 AD, .38gr. 16-20K 7mm, Obv.-Tanjore Kall Fig., Rev-"Ra Mu/Ra U" Ref. Ganesh, Tamilnadu, #11.2

Well thats it! Thanks for the help!

Oh, here are some pictures of the whole coins, if you are interested.

Allgoldcoins.jpg

PCGSVICTORIA.jpg

GoldSUISSEBARREVERSE.jpg

Thanks again!

Stinkycheese 1,

You must really like gold for all I ever hear you talk about are gold . I like gold coins to myself and I too buy lots of gold coins every chance I get. I don't know about true value of your coins that you have listed but I will gave you a price that I think is acceptable. I estimate the vaule to be some where around 2,200 to 2,400 if you were to sell them on ebay.

John :)

Stinkycheese 1,

You must really like gold for all I ever hear you talk about are gold . I like gold coins to myself and I too buy lots of gold coins every chance I get. I don't know about true value of your coins that you have listed but I will gave you a price that I think is acceptable. I estimate the vaule to be some where around 2,200 to 2,400 if you were to sell them on ebay.

John :)

Thanks John!

Kevin,

Nice little collection you have there! Just to note: All Ducats dated 1915 are restrikes, and are still being made today. They contain 0.1106 Troy Oz of Gold. That being said, I'd guess that you could get about $2500-$2600 for your collection if you needed to sell in a hurry. Just a little higher than John's estimate.

My experience in " having to sell in a hurry" is less money rather than a higher price. Of course I may be extremely unlucky

Well, it's almost been a year since the last post by me here on this thread!

Gold was over $900 recently until it suddenly plunged for some reason down to $850.

Definitely better than $700.

Now, I also have more coins including an gold angel, a 1901-S PCGS MS62 $5 gold piece, an 1834 AU53 classic head quarter eagle/CAC, don't have the $20 liberty double eagle anymore, I also have a 1/10 oz gold buffalo, still have the $20 saint. I wonder if I could break 3K now?

Well, it's always fun to know! :D

If you were trying to sell the bullion, back a few months ago it barely broke a $1000. And then the bottom fell out, as I expected. But the prices have been up and down like a roller coaster so who knows what to expect 6 months from now. (shrug)

Kevin,

There are certainly others on these forums which have more experience with Gold, but to me it seems that you tend to be more concerned about current profit/value of your coins as opposed to the potential appreciation of your investments. To me gold coins are a hobby investment and their value will flucutate with the demand for the specific coin and perhaps somewhat with the price of gold. I am not sure what your ultimate motives are in investing in gold coins, but to me if it is to watch and worry about the day to day or month to month value of the collection, that is not good. Gold, whether it be via coins or other means is not a good short term investment, it should be held for the long term.

I would suggest you determine a method you are comfortable with determining the value of your gold coins on a continuous basis and watching that. Everyone uses different methods and resources, but you should determine what is best for you.

Just some friendly suggestions.

Rey