• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This one is for Rey!

25 posts in this topic

It arrived today, and I couldn't wait to take some photos of it. The two I'm posting don't look anything like the medal in-hand because I wanted to fool around with the color saturation for kicks. That way, it will still be somewhat of a surprise when you get it. PM me your address, Rey, and I'll send it off to you.

Chris

46043-IMG_1913.JPG.0f586cc5b7490030bfed4d208a5a0d95.JPG

46044-IMG_1914.JPG.9454face876271cf2003a10d35524458.JPG

Shucks, you're taking all the fun out of it. I did that intentionally so Rey would be surprised. Well, okay.

Rey, either this medal was buried in the rubble of all the European wars since 1836 or someone has used something to clean it. You can see the residues in the lettering. I hope that a proper dip can take care of this. Personally, I'm not qualified to mess with something like that. If it were up to me, I would send it to NCS for conservation. It's a beautiful medal!

Chris

46052-IMG_1915.JPG.7912f20cb3e0a2936464d25849f41fa9.JPG

46054-IMG_1916.JPG.f2a0163e5389b2d4cc9fe63c09e5ad1f.JPG

Chris

Wow that arrived quickly. Thanks again for the assistance on this one. Regardless of the condition as we discussed it is one worth having.

My thanks to Chris for picking this up for me very econimically.

Rey

Chris

Wow that arrived quickly. Thanks again for the assistance on this one. Regardless of the condition as we discussed it is one worth having.

My thanks to Chris for picking this up for me very econimically.

Rey

I've had many, many dealings with this seller, and I always get prompt delivery from France.

Rey, please PM me your address and I'll send it to you sometime within the next 15 business days. lol lol lol lol

Chris

PS. I strongly believe that professional conservation would make this medal a true standout in your collection.

No! Don't conserve it. Use a camel hair brush and eventually it will be incredibly gorgeous! Kind of like if I beat Chris repeatedly in the face with a shovel, his looks would be slightly improved! lol

No! Don't conserve it. Use a camel hair brush and eventually it will be incredibly gorgeous! Kind of like if I beat Chris repeatedly in the face with a shovel, his looks would be slightly improved! lol

That coming from a bald-headed ape walking around with a 3-legged dog peeing on his foot. Triple lol

Chris

What surprises me is that I got comments about my crappy photos............I got comments about my appearance................but nobody, other than Rey said anything about the medal. Who are you guys afraid of? Me or Rey?

Chris

I don't buzz my head any more. Actually, it's quite dashing! And, my slight widow's peak, I have my hair combed down in the Roman style. ;) I actually don't comb it, I put a dab of gel in and finger it down. So, there! :)

I actually implied that the medal is very sweet. It can be gorgeous with the glossy finish a camel hair brush can impart.

I don't buzz my head any more. Actually, it's quite dashing! And, my slight widow's peak, I have my hair combed down in the Roman style. ;) I actually don't comb it, I put a dab of gel in and finger it down. So, there! :)

Oh, like Alfalfa of the Little Rascals.

I actually implied that the medal is very sweet. It can be gorgeous with the glossy finish a camel hair brush can impart.

I don't know anything about Camels. I never smoked them.

Chris

Chris,

I am unable to retrieve the original description on this piece from the seller, do you have it. We can present the origin, stats on this piece. I should have saved it and I need it for my records as well.

Sounds as if we all have hair problems, luckily although almost fifty I am yet grey, bald or buzzed.

Rey

Oh, like Alfalfa of the Little Rascals.

I don't know anything about Camels. I never smoked them.

Chris

stillchildhood13s1.jpg O-Tay Alfalfa.36_11_6.gif Sam using camel to shine Butt.camel_bt.gif

I don't know anything about Camels.

Chris

Two guesses as to which one is me and which one is the camel.

camel-jockey-cropped.jpg

Victor,

That is great, the funny thing is I have a similar picture taken in 1979 at the pyramids. Wonder if it was the same Camel? If I can find it I will post it.

Rey

That would be great, Rey! Please do.

BTW, this is a trick question. A dromedary has one hump--just like kyphotic Chris, the old man. :devil:

Victor,

That is great, the funny thing is I have a similar picture taken in 1979 at the pyramids. Wonder if it was the same Camel? If I can find it I will post it.

Rey

No, Rey, you were riding Victor.

Now I don't have to vote!

Chris

Chris,

I am unable to retrieve the original description on this piece from the seller, do you have it. We can present the origin, stats on this piece. I should have saved it and I need it for my records as well.

Sounds as if we all have hair problems, luckily although almost fifty I am yet grey, bald or buzzed.

Rey

PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward the page to you.

Chris

The 1836 French Historic Raliroad medal that Chris aquired from me arrived today and it is beautiful even with the apparent remnants of something, perhaps cleaning attempts in the past. A wonderful addition to my medals and railroad related coins/medals set.

Thanks again Chris, your the man.

Rey

1836FrenchHistoricRailwayMedalObv.jpg

1836FrenchHistoricRailwayMedalRev.jpg

1836FrenchRailwayMedalRev.jpg

With the assistance and guidance of Mark Hooten I have been successful in removing the light/whitish material that was on this 1836 French Railway Medal. Some Olive Oil, Woolite distilled with water and a good rinse is all it took. Here are the new images.

Rey

1836FrenchRailwayMedalObvCons.jpg

1836FrenchRailwayMedalRevCons.jpg

Now, care with a camel brush would really do it justice. Mark is the man with the answers concerning that topic, as well.

Dean,

Well I finally found the photo of my on the camel back in 1979. I'm the one up front.

Rey

CamelRide.jpg

Up front? Do you mean that thing ahead of the two guys?

Chris :devil: