• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I found out about Bust Half Dollars and...

9 posts in this topic

Bust Half Dollars...probably applicable to any other coin, and...

what people are misled to believe

what's in top registry sets

what people are making money on by selling

there is SO much of it out there that...

YOU HAVE TO ASSUME YOUR COIN HAS BEEN DOCTORED IN SOME WAY, EVEN IF you are convinced otherwise.

Only then do you stand a chance of having a secure collection.

Because, only then will you be open to the ugly reality of being WRONG!

Good philosophy, Mike. It kind of goes with what Mark Feld was saying: instead of making accusations, ask the why's and what for's.

agreed, Victor, but I do believe in accusations as well, particularly since the TPGs are so inconsistent in grading capped bust material. If this isn't pointed out to them, why would they find issue with it? Since cleaned, hairlined, colored, altered material is SO FREQUENTLY holdered by the TPGS, when anyone buys a coin in a TPG holder, it behooves them to maintain enough uncertainty in their own assessment in lieu of the fact that the TPGS have not earned complete trust...they make too many mistakes. There is a lot of tainted material out there, LOTS of it, and most of it undetected by major dealers, so called 'experts' and not lastly, the TPGS.

edited to add: or if it is detected, they must simply not care

I agree that there should be accountability. I think that it is hypocrisy the way the TPGS's are so generous in some series and so very harsh in others. PCGS will reject a majority of all early copper for altered color but will grade AT'd Bust Halves all day long. This is but one of many examples, I'm sure.

There are those cases also that any tainting of the coin does not start to appear until months maybe years after it has been put in it's tombed slab.

Capped Bust Halves are a great series to collect. The first ones turn 200 this year. :banana::applause: People love these coins for a variety of reasons such as the design, the heritage and history they represent, the fact that so much hand work went into the production of each piece and the 450 varieties that are available for those who love the Overton system. All this and they are still available and somewhat affordable for the majority of collectors.

Most agree that virtually all CBH's have been messed with in some manner over their history. Still we eagerly collect, desire, praise and marvel at them. We collect what is appealing to us and passes muster for our tastes and budget. There does appear to be some inconsistency regarding the slabs, grades and coins that have more obvious work done to them than other series. Frustrating as it is, one still should buy the coin and not the plastic.

My question is why are we so forgiving with CBH's and not with other US Coins?

People are much more tolerant when it comes to ancient and world (dark side) coins than they are with most US. Could it be that we really have no other choice? How does one truly know that their CBH coins are completely original? It is very hard to determine but we still enjoy them. Isn't enjoyment a large part of the hobby? It is for me.

Great post Mike (thumbs u