• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

David Lawrence Rare Coins--website down? Good place to do business?

23 posts in this topic

Folks,

His website is down and has been for several days. Any ideas? Also, how many of you like his service and coins? Any other topnotch dealers out there? My main interests right now are Peace and Morgan dollars...

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Jeremy, that makes sense! I guess some folks have better and more important this to do right now than look at and buy coins. What a mess. God bless them!

Mike

And to elaborate...

I've done some business with them... buying and selling. Whatever they are sending you, they send fast. They reply to emails promptly and the extra cost is for premium quality- you are getting what you pay for.

My only complaint is their images could really use some work.

Jeremy

I have bought some very nice coins from DLRC and they have taken back the coins I have returned to them without question. As for selling coins to them, I find it a little difficult as they do not specialize in toned coins and, as such, they do not necessarily pay what the market would.

You are 100% right "Airplanenut". They are in Virginia Beach. Smack dab in the middle of Isabel's path. I have done business with them since 1994, and have never met a bunch of finer numismatists. Their service is outstanding, fast and they never question a return, which is seldom. Win and John are a pleasure to do business with. I hope that all's well with them ! I know Win stayed in Virginia Beach during the hurricane, and everyone else is at Long Beach.

I think they are a good outfit, catering to a wide spectrum of the typical modest collector. Jack and Win are very knowledgeable and professional. Feigenbaum is a good guy who conducts his business in good ethical standing.

More importantly, they've been getting some very good consignments and holdings. Don't be afraid to pay up for the coins you want; they are fair with their pricing.

EVP

I'll agree with what everyone has said. Great service, great selection of coins. I've done some business with them at major show as well, and you couldn't find nicer people to work with. laugh.gif

I have bought some very nice coins from DLRC and they have taken back the coins I have returned to them without question. As for selling coins to them, I find it a little difficult as they do not specialize in toned coins and, as such, they do not necessarily pay what the market would.

The opposite side of Tom's statement is that they also don't typically place large premiums on toned coins that might merit it. You can occasionally find a real stunner on their site priced like a regular coin.

Although I have never bought a coin from them (came close once), the posted pics of their coins is a great way to see overgraded P893censored-thumb.gif$ coins. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

No, it's more like their pictures just happen to suck... their coins are of great quality...

Although I have never bought a coin from them (came close once), the posted pics of their coins is a great way to see overgraded P893censored-thumb.gif$ coins. 27_laughing.gif

Leo

No, it's more like their pictures just happen to suck... their coins are of great quality...

Hi airplanenut

I can't say that about all their coins and all the series, I just look at the Jefferson nickels and many of them are definitely overgraded. They have also been on that site for quite some time, for months. And most are way overpriced, not that I want to buy any of them in the first place. Let's just say, from the pictures alone, I do not want them. 27_laughing.gif There was a very nice frosted early dated 1940 rev. of 38 proof that I inquired about last year but I couldn't afford the $1200 price tag on it. frown.gif

Leo

Leo: 1). No! You can't get free NGC submissions for nothing, without joining the Registry. But you are still trying after being told NO WAY about 10,000 times. 2). No, not all of us on this Board are because we don't pick our coins out of pocket change (kind of hard to find Trimes and Half Eagles in pocket change). 3). No, you won't pay normal fair prices (including dealer overhead) for slabbed coins. Sure David Lawrence has some ordinary coins, but they have some really nice coins as well. Plus, they have to make a profit, pay salaries and rent. 4). You profess not to have any certified coins and then say later that you do!

Are there any normal practices of this hobby that you do agree with and participate in other than px$$xng whatever Moderns? tonofbricks.gif

Leo: 1). No! You can't get free NGC submissions for nothing, without joining the Registry. But you are still trying after being told NO WAY about 10,000 times.
893whatthe.gif

2). No, not all of us on this Board are because we don't pick our coins out of pocket change (kind of hard to find Trimes and Half Eagles in pocket change).
893whatthe.gif

3). No, you won't pay normal fair prices (including dealer overhead) for slabbed coins. Sure David Lawrence has some ordinary coins, but they have some really nice coins as well. Plus, they have to make a profit, pay salaries and rent.
893whatthe.gif

4). You profess not to have any certified coins and then say later that you do!
893whatthe.gif

Are there any normal practices of this hobby that you do agree with and participate in other than px$$xng whatever Moderns? tonofbricks.gif
893whatthe.gif

I'm really at a lost here about where you're coming from so I'll pass with the responces. Perhaps you have missed the context to my last two posts. The digs are at P893censored-thumb.gif$, not DLRC. This evening, maybe we can open up another window and take a look at a few of the Jeffersons pictures and voice our different opinions on whether the they actually meet the grades designated on the slabs. I personally don't agree that a certified MS65 to MS67 coin should have marks of any kind in the main focal areas.

Leo popcorn.gif

Hi All,

I just came across this thread tonite. We were indeed down for 3 days without power for the web site becuase of Hurricane Isabel. (My house was without power for 9 days!). Trees down everywhere but places without trees fared pretty well. All's well that ends well and nobody was hurt. Win and the rest of the gang stayed put here in VB while Jack, Jason and I were in Long Beach.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words and concern on this thread. We're up and ready for biz!

Sincerely,

John Feigenbaum

Hi All,

I just came across this thread tonite. We were indeed down for 3 days without power for the web site becuase of Hurricane Isabel. (My house was without power for 9 days!). Trees down everywhere but places without trees fared pretty well. All's well that ends well and nobody was hurt. Win and the rest of the gang stayed put here in VB while Jack, Jason and I were in Long Beach.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words and concern on this thread. We're up and ready for biz!

Sincerely,

John Feigenbaum

Eh, don't be a stranger, your input is welcome here.

By the way, will you take $49.00 for your 1958 ANACS 64 5 steps coin? That is, if the reverse is fully strucked. Can't see the center windows from the pic. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks, Leo

After quite a bit of looking, I picked up a properly graded MS 64 Capped Bust Quarter (which is difficult to find) from David Lawrence last Christmas.

The coin looked better than a 4 from the image, and I asked about that. Win told me of a hairline scratch in the right obverse field that did not show up in the image which limited the grade to a 4, but added that he did not believe this was a problem.

When I got the coin, Win was absolutely correct and I was happy with it. They have a no questions asked return policy and he said that if I didn't like the coin, I could return it. I wouldn't think twice about doing business with them again.

As an aside, when I only have an image to go by, even with a return policy, I always ask the seller where he would rate the coin in its grade (ie., is it a 'liner' coin, solid for the grade, or PQ) before telling him to ship it.

I have been buying coins from David Lawrence for years and have NEVER been disappointed with a coin they have sent to me! As a matter of fact I just received this beautiful coin from them today. It is a 1939D Oregon Trail half graded MS-66 by NGC of course! cloud9.gif

Thanks everyone at David Lawrence for helping me put together a collection of great coins.! thumbsup2.gif

589a8b30680dc_274608-1939doregontrailobv.jpg.22862660e447a5a8069c3eb4fd49dbe3.jpg