• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1904 Russian 5 Ruble gold coin...

9 posts in this topic

From Krause's World Coins :

Russian 5 rubles in gold - 4.3013 g. .900 gold, .1244 oz. AGW

I like these coins so long as you don't over pay for a slabbed one in high grade.

1904Russian5N6611.jpg

1904Russian5N6611obv.jpg1904Russian5N6611rev.jpg

Check ebay for recent pricing. MS65 is likely about $10 less than MS66. This one cost me $90 back in 2000 when gold was a bit cheaper. $90 is about the current gold melt value and gold is now in demand, so I would think at least $130 to replace this coin today. Personally, I would not buy this issue below MS66. The jump from MS66 to MS67 is only about $30.

The Russian 5R is always in abundant supply. It is however much more difficult to find them encapsulated by a major grading service, almost always NGC. To me it is worth an extra $20-25 to have in the holder. This issue has been especially popular with counterfeiters.

This issue has been especially popular with counterfeiters.

Very interesting. I had no idea these were popular with counterfeiters. Thanks!

By the way, is it for sale?

The trouble is, as you can see from the photo of the MS-66 piece, the Russian mint did not maintain the dies very well on these coins. When you consider preservation AND how well the coin was made, I don't think that there are very many real GEM grade examples of this coin. A counterfeiter does not have to do a wonderful job to get close to the image of many of the genuine examples.