• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One Coin Purchased at the NENA Show-An Original, EF Connecticut Half!

13 posts in this topic

It might be that most folks would scratch their heads in disbelief that someone could get excited over an original, EF Connecticut half. However, this coin made me downright giddy! LeeG offers excellent and informative reviews of the early half dollar series, but a great book to own if you want to learn more about this fascinating series is Commemorative Coins of the United States-A Complete Encyclopedia by QDB. In this book, QDB writes about the history and distribution of each issue. Many of us are aware of the abuses in distribution that plague quite a few of the early commem issues. Thankfully, however, the Connecticut half dollar was distributed in an efficient, honest manner. This meant that collectors generally received one or two coins instead of select dealers receiving hundreds of coins. Citizens of Connecticut bought most of the issue and only a few thousand pieces went out-of-state. Of course, with a mintage of only 25,000 coins even a few thousand represents a decent percentage.

The Connecticut half is my favorite early commem and I have been searching for several years for an original, attractive circulated coin. It is easy to find this issue in AU, especially if you want to find hairlined and dipped pieces. A true EF with dirt, grime and patina is something I have never found, though I believe our own Pat Braddick owns a VF/EF piece. If this is true then I hope Pat would share images of his coin since he is a much better photographer than I could hope to become. My search for a circulated Connecticut has been in progress for several years so that I might put the coin in my VF-AU Dansco 7070 along with an AU58 Columbian, AU50 Maine and AU53 Oregon Trail. Of course, all of these coins are original and fairly dark. Certain early commem issues are quite often found with original, circulated surfaces and the Columbian, Pilgrim, Maine and Lexington are most common here in New England.

I did well at the show and saw many familiar, friendly faces on both sides of the table. Oddly, I had not purchased a single coin until I was walking out the door and this Connecticut caught my eye. I couldn't get to the table fast enough and purchased the coin immediately. My father-in-law, who was with me, did not share my excitement for the piece, neither did my wife when I brought the coin home. That's okay, these images will be shared with the board. The coin is slightly darker in-hand, but is devoid of PVC, jewelry mounts, hairlines or other imperfections. This is a cool piece.

CT_Obv.jpg

CT_Rev.jpg

I think that the wear on the coin does wonders with light and shadows. It actually animates the tree and it does appear that a squirrel is going to show itself at any minute. :)

Your favorite commem, eh? You being from Connecticut hasn't influence your decison now, has it? :grin:

Nice looking Comm. there Tom. Not familiar with these too well but looks bright to me. It looks like it's been dipped to me but like I said, not familiar with these.

Dipped? hm I realize my image is a tad light, but you might want to invest in a new monitor if this looks dipped. hm It has a fairly thick, black coating on it from its time in circulation or storage.

Dipped? hm I realize my image is a tad light, but you might want to invest in a new monitor if this looks dipped. hm It has a fairly thick, black coating on it from its time in circulation or storage.

No insult intended Tom, It just looks very bright on my monitor. Sorry!