• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS 67 Washington quarters

5 posts in this topic

I can only comment on silver Washingtons (1932-1964) and the answer is that PCGS holdered coins generally garner higher bids at auction in MS67 slabs. In many cases it is not even close in terms of what they sell for. Of course, it is always supposed to be about the coin, so, buy the best coin and ignore the others.

Here is a real-life case in point: I bought a gorgeous NGC MS67 1947-S Washington for about $200 and then sold it for five figures (that's $10,000+) because it upgraded at PCGS to MS68.

The lesson is that the general trend is just that; general. It is all about the coin.

There is usually a big gap at least on ebay in pricing. PCGS holdered quarters in MS67 will sell for substantially more. Some of the ones I haved owned in the older, thicker slabs from NGC had some generous grading.

You will probably net the same when you sell, i.e. that is you can buy the holderd NGC coins cheaper but mostly likely in the near future they will sell for less then PCGS coins.

There is a large, and largly unfair, price gap between NGC and PCGS MS67 Washington Quarters. Take the 1946-D as an example. A PCGS MS67 sells for between $2000 and $3000 in this grade, while an NGC MS67 can be had for $120. That is insanity in its purest form.

I've had mixed experiences with NGC and Washington's. Silver Washingtons have been my main collecting passion for a while now. I go to a lot of shows, and love picking through dealer's inventory of raw ones, I buy them, and get them slabbed myself at NGC. I can honestly say that every coin I have sent them graded the way I thought it should grade - no gifts and no dissapointments. On the other hand, the vast majority of NGC slabbed coins I've bought on Ebay (which I rarely do anymore) have been the "mistakes" that we've all heard about that happens sometimes. These coins are terribly overgraded, some by 2-3 points, kind of proving to me what I've heard about Ebay, that it is a dumping ground for dealers who can't sell these coins out of their cases. The same applies for PCGS slabbed quarters I've bought on the net.

Buying slabbed Washingtons at shows is a different story though. I've found virtually no difference in correctly graded coins between PCGS and NGC. Buying these NGC graded coins at a discount to their PCGS counterparts is almost like pennies from heaven. cloud9.gif

Andy laugh.gif