• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long Beach Update.......DISASTER!!!

9 posts in this topic

James and I did not make it to Long Beach for the show, but I just received a call from a fellow dealer as he was waiting to catch his plane back to Chicago.

He told me that a water line in the ceiling broke overnight and flooded a good portion of the bourse. Nobody was there to get their coins out, so some unfortunate dealers came to the show this morning with cases filled with water. And, yes, there were a few currency dealers, according to my source. They had the show shut-down until about Noon PST, so that they could clean the mess up. Most of the floor was covered in water, but the worst thing is that many coins and currency are wet.....very wet. My friend stated that some people are already discussing claims with the convention center for financial losses.

What a terrible mess! frown.gif

I heard the water pipe broke over only a few dealers tables and they were quite wet. Many tables toward the middle and front of the convention hall had slight water on the floor causing moisture on boxes and cases that were directly on the floor. Liability is very limited for this show and it is incumbent on the dealer to carry his own insurance to cover this loss. I was told, that the dealers table contract specifically states damage by the convention center is not covered. Otherwise, a fair show. Hard time buying, easy time selling. Overall very pleased. Fewer dealers than normal, but maybe that's due to the hurricane back east.

TRUTH news.gif

Perhaps my friend overstated the damage. He said that it took him 15 minutes to obtain permission to retrieve his bag (coin inventory) from the bourse. He said that he was there early and saw the damage before any clean-up was done. I just hope that the few tables that took a direct hit were not currency dealers........

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I'm relieved to announce that NGC's booth was not affected in any way by the flooding, though we were unable to enter the bourse room until noon.

Here's how we spent the idle time: juggle.gif

I'm relieved to announce that NGC's booth was not affected in any way by the flooding, though we were unable to enter the bourse room until noon. Here's how we spent the idle time: juggle.gif

ah...grading coins. popcorn.gif