• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here is an 1836 Capped Bust Half Dime for you to grade and attribute, have fun!

13 posts in this topic

Hi, Everyone :hi:

Another addition to my DANSCO 7070, the last half dime for that portion of my Type Coin Set! :grin: This is a scan, so the luster does not show well in the picture.

1836 Capped Bust Half Dime bought as raw, please grade and give an attribution if you like. All comments are also welcome. :)

I will reveal the details later.

AAJ

1836bhdo.jpg1836bhdr.jpg

It's an LM-3 (Valentine 4) - Inverted 3 Large 5C.

I'd grade it at XF-45. Nice pickup!

Here is an NGC AU-58 for comparison.

Halfdime_image-1.jpg

The coin was cleaned a long time ago. It's stiil a VF.

The variety is 1836 LM-3. It's an R-1 and rated as "common." If you put a glass on the "3" in the date you will see that the number was first punched upsidedown and re-punched rightsideup. (:

Hi, All :hi:

Thank you all for the nice comments on my new addition. :cloud9:

GAB was the first to attribute this Capped Bust Half Dime as an Inverted 3 Large 5C, LM-3 (Valentine 4) correctly followed by BillJones a few moments later. You guys are quick at attributing coins! :golfclap:

I will leave the grade I bought this coin open for a bit longer for more forum members to guess the grade from the picture scans. :)

AAJ

What a beautiful coin.

Congrats on a nice addition.

I think this one just makes the EF grade, too nice for a VF, but not a high grade EF either, so I will go with a solid 40.

Nice coin.

It looks like it has AU50 details to me. It may be the image or scan, but it looks over dipped with no luster.

Here's a pic of mine, graded MS60 by ANACS, a very illusive grade. :grin:

45878-1836obv.jpg.c247041cc81be1f92896a1467cbc6250.jpg

45879-1836rev.jpg.a3996c043ba9ddb51eeec783f53ba8f2.jpg

At first blush that coin looks like some thing better than MS-60. Perhaps MS-61 would be more appropriate, but I've seen that type of toning develop on a piece that has been dipped. You don’t see that type of toning come up from a dip. If you did people would be dipping coins until the cows come home. But it is possible.

The only mark of note is the one of the face, which in my mind should not lower the grade lower than MS-62 or 63.

Hi, RGT and ALL :hi:

Once again thank you all for your comments. :grin:

This coin does have some nice luster even though it has been dipped.The scan just did not show it. (shrug)

RGT's grade of AU50 was the grade on this raw coin. In hand it is a nice looking coin just right for my DANSCO 7070 Type Coin Set. (thumbs u

GAB thanks for showning your neat NGC graded AU58. :cloud9:

RGT your ANACS graded MS60 is very colorful and one great coin! :cloud9:

AAJ