• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with a 1863 token please

7 posts in this topic

Thanks for the responce..

I think i should refrase the question :-

my gess on the Reverse die is 203-218

but the Obverse 1 am undesided 408-413 because of the two stars (looks like 409 to me)

the problem i am having is i cannot find the Obv with this Rev listed .

Store card # 1233 is listed with Patriotic die 206-209 not Dix ?

This what I found dooly.

Patriotic tokens

A Dix token, an example of a patriotic tokenPatriotic Civil War tokens typically displayed a patriotic slogan or image on one or both sides. Since the majority of these tokens were minted in Union states, the slogans and images were decidedly pro-Union. Some common examples of slogans found on patriotic tokens are "The Union Must and Shall Be Preserved," "Union For Ever," and "Old Glory". Some of the images found on patriotic tokens were the flag of the United States, a 19th-century cannon, and the USS Monitor.[6]

Among the most well-known varieties of patriotic tokens are the so-called "Dix tokens." They are named for John Adams Dix, who served as Secretary of the Treasury in 1861. In a letter from Dix to a revenue cutter captain, Lieutenant Caldwell, he orders Caldwell to relieve another cutter captain of his command for refusing an order to transfer from New Orleans to New York. The letter ends with the following sentence: "If any one attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot."[7] The quote found its way to a number of patriotic tokens, albeit with a slightly modified wording ("haul down" is usually replaced by "tear it down").

Also I did find that prices in EF are about $17 and AU around $29. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the responce..

I think i should refrase the question :-

my gess on the Reverse die is 203-218

but the Obverse 1 am undesided 408-413 because of the two stars (looks like 409 to me)

the problem i am having is i cannot find the Obv with this Rev listed .

Store card # 1233 is listed with Patriotic die 206-209 not Dix ?

Huh? I told you I didn't know anything about them! (shrug)....................yeah, what Bobby said! (thumbs u

Chris

The Fuld number on this piece is 207 / 409 a. It is a common token that rates an R-1, and it is one of the "Dix" series of Civil War tokens.

General John Dix was too old (in his 60s) to be considered for a field command. As a result he was given military assignments behind the lines. After Union forces captured New Orleans, Dix was dispatched to enforce marshal law in the area. Needless to say the citizens of New Orleans were not happy about having the Union soldiers occupying their city. Women had a nasty habit of emptying their chamber pots on the heads of Union soldiers when they pasted by. And a few men would tear down the American flag if they saw it flying.

Dix decided to put a stop to the flag desecrations. He told his men “if anybody attempts to take it (the flag) down, shoot him on the spot.” The Northern papers picked up on this order, and it became a battle slogan. These tokens were issued mostly in the New York City area as a response to that popular slogan.

There is one blundered die variety of this group of pieces (not rare) that reads, “Shoot him on the spoot.” This is the so-called “spoot” variety.

The ladies with the camber pots also were disciplined. A subsequent military boss over New Orleans, Ben Butler, whom southerners called “the beast,” declared that any women who engaged in disrespectful behavior toward Union soldiers would be labeled, “a women of the town” i.e. a prostitute.

You piece is fairly sharp, but it appears to have been recolored as such it worth $12 to $15.