• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade and value please

15 posts in this topic

Could you please help me with a grade and value on this 1859 IHC? The photo blown up has brought out a rough looking surface but in hand it is smooth as can be with very few nicks. Thanks.

1859IHC.jpg

Without looking at my grading book, I would guess a high EF which PCGS says is around $130.

Being the first to reply to this, take my eval with a nice heap of salt, but also to me the color/surface doesn't look quite right.

I can't really tell you a grade, because well i can only see one side of the coin, it seems to either be a copy, or it was cleaned very carefully. the values following are for graded coins only, and they are what you would pay for a graded 1859 IHC G-15, F-30, XF-130, AU-200, MS60-255, MS63-575, MS64-1170, MS65-3500, MS66-7500.

Again these prices are for Coins Graded by PCGS, not other grading companies... Although NGC prices should be right up there with these. And this is what you would usually pay for a coin in these grades if sold by a dealer.

If the color of the images is accurate the coin has been cleaned, as that is not natural color for a Copper Nickel Cent.

Here is an ANACS XF45 to compare it to:

778265.jpg778289.jpg

Unfortunately, I am not good with a camera. I just don't seem to get it. The lighting causes the light coloring. I used an OTT lite and a sony mavica camera and took 30 or so pics. This was the best. The coin is a crisp red/brown as are the other dozen IHC's that I have. Sorry for the pics.

Here is another photo I took without the OTT Lite(just a 100 watt lite bulb), I felt it was too grainy looking, but anyway. A camera is on my next list of purchases, but *spoon* keeps happening to prevent that. (shrug)

Thank you, James-I think it is MS also but wasn't sure as to which grade. I can see absolutely no wear on this coin and the surface is as smooth as it can be.

1859obvrev.jpg

I'd give the coin an AU for sharpness. I'm not so sure that it has been cleaned, at least not with out seeing it. These coins were made of 88% copper and 12% nickel, and sometimes coins with a coppery color to them are seen. I've seen copper toning on strictly Mint State copper-nickel cents.

As to value the Gray Sheet numbers range from $75 in EF to $130 in AU. Since most collectors prefer their "white cents" to be white, I'd say this is piece worth somewhere in the $75 to $100 range.

Based upon the explanation about the imaging and the new images I'd guess high grade AU (58), as the tops of some of the feathers appear to display slight wear.

I like this second set of pics better Jim. The first one's made the cent look to have more wear, possibly some thumbing around the hair under liberty. I think it looks more AU now. It's amazing what pics will do to represent a coin!

Mark,

The main reason I chose the lighter photos was because I thought the tips of the feathers showed no wear and the base of the headband shows complete, whereas the darker image appears to have wear on the feathers and the base of the headband and there is none in hand. Thanks for your response.

Thanks to all who responded. Your opinions are valued(regardless of how stupid they are) :jokealert: Really, that's how we learn. No one can make the call by themselves. I do appreciate all of you.