• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Quote From the CU Boards

20 posts in this topic

Just read this on a post over at the CU boards:

"To the people there, this forum has become a laughingstock"

The people "there" are you guys, the NGC forum. My question: is it true? Do you view the CU forum that way?

I know some of you like to go over there and stir it up. It reminds me of when I lived in King's Cross in Sydney. Nobody had anything good to say about the place. It was a den of "scum and villainy." But, when Saturday night rolled around, that's the place you wanted to be.

Would you really want the CU forum to change? Isn't it nice to come back here, put on the smoking jacket and slip into a dry martini?

I don't think that place has become a laughingstock. I rather like the sharp distinction between this place and that place.

One place is like a raucous Manhattan steakhouse, the other like a nice quiet bistro in Soho or Chelsea.

I want both, just as they are.

And, on this note, I'm going to deal with lunch! smile.gif

EVP

Clankeye, good question!

Choice is a good thing and we certainly have two diverse choices! I think that each board has its assets, as well as its asses, though thankfully, more of the former than the latter.

Well Mark, I'm guilty, i posted that remark. In retrospect i should of said "some people". I have few posts to my credit. I do not feel sometimes i have the knowledge to respond to certain threads. There is nothing i enjoy more than to sit down with a fellow collector or dealer and talk about coins. I spend 3-4 hours a day reading both sites and have learned alot in 3 months. The point i was trying to make was that the CU forum seems to have many more threads created just to blast a fellow member. Wait..... now i get it. People want threads like that. Adds a little spice to their day!

abmluce , please don't get me wrong. Personally, I have no problem with your post. And, my comment about asses was not directed at you (and, for the most part, was general in nature) I promise.

I do agree that "some people" would have been a better choice of words but don't be too hard on yourself.

You said "The point i was trying to make was that the CU forum seems to have many more threads created just to blast a fellow member. Wait..... now i get it. People want threads like that. Adds a little spice to their day! "

That is certainly part of it!

I like both places. I generally get more good info. over here, but don't let that stop me from posting across the street or here when the mood strikes.

Generally, I'll ask questions here, because I can get good responses. Across the way, I usually focus on answering the questions of others.

I like both places, though I post little on the CU board. I can't keep up with the volume of posts at CU. I detest personal attacks, here there, everywhere. I do not like green eggs and ham, I do not like them Sam I am.

Hoot

Ambluce--

By posting the quote from you I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable in any way. I think you were expressing a valid frustration to a contentious thread over there. I just was wondering if there really was a lot of sentiment over here, that the CU forum lacks credibility.

Personally, I think there are a lot of good things over there. Coinguy1, EVP, TDN, keithdagen, Shiro... heck I shouldn't have started this because the list is too long... all you guys are bi-postal so to speak. I would be surprized if too many of you truly held the CU forum in contempt.

I have poked what hopefully is "good natured" fun at the NGC forum over there. I think it's kind of fun to stoke some idea of a "rivalry." But, the truth is I enjoy both forums, and my appreaciation of this forum is growing. Yes, the CU has a higher "drive me crazy" quotient, but if things get too calm over there, I find I am a little out of sorts.

Boiler78-- Sightseeing in King's Cross... yeah, I miss those days!

That other place is for people in cliques. I would rather hang around here. The people are more mature and it is contagious.

Pat McNulty

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

It's good to have a choice. Democracy at work. About a year ago I realized I was developing a chip on my shoulder whenever I logged on across the street. Feeling defensive isn't good so I quit posting and read more. Then these boards appeared and I can read even more.

Now I can be bipostal twice in an evening.

I prefer the forum architecture of the CU forums to the NGC forums (particularly the unlimited post editing time and the better search features). I also appreciate the greater population over there, although it seems to have a higher proportion of spoons than we do here. The BST forum is also better stocked and better populated than the NGC one. Their world and metal detecting forums are excellent.

NGC, on the other hand, boasts a much more polite crowd on average (exceptions exist, obviously). Both sides of the street have different things to offer.

I prefer the forum architecture of the CU forums to the NGC forums (particularly the unlimited post editing time and the better search features).

So do I. However, the NGC upgrade of last year closed the gap considerably. Perhaps the next upgrade will allow them to overtake PCGS' board?