• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin with the most Upside??

12 posts in this topic

Any semi-key Lincoln cent in RED BU. This series hits the big 100 in a couple of years, and all of them are going to bump in value.

They need not be excessively expensive coins, either. In fact, I think the early 1930s will be the sweet spot.

I think that substantial portion of this market is way over heated. Who can afford to buy anything any more? Very ordinary 19th century coins sell for 5 figures easy. It's all a VERY RICH man's game now, not just a rich man's game. :o

I thought when I came into some money that I'd be able to finish off a lot of my collection. I was dreaming. zzz

I agree with James, an MS Red early Lincoln(1935 down) will see major increases in value within the next 18 months. It has already started to happen as they have taken a sizeable increase this year. Several dates are available in the $2500 price range which will not be this time next year.JMO. I am placing my money in the mid 20's. Good luck to all.

I'm thinking the type proof coins. Anything Cameo will just be a bonus.

John :)

Sadly a lot of that stuff seems maxed out to me if you are talking about mid 19th century Proof type. That's the stuff on my want list. The selection stinks, and the prices are very high, even in grades like PR-64, which is my target. You can't find much in Seated Proof half dollars, and the quality is mostly dipped out with impaired mirrors.

I saw one 1973 with arrows half dollar in a PR-63 holder that had big more or planchet flaw in the field. That didn't stop the dealer from asking more than the Coin Prices quote for it. :o

Some dealers are asking very high prices for over graded coins in PR-65 or more likely 66 holders. A few years ago some of these coins would have made no more than PR-63 or low end 64. There was a time when $5,000 to $10,000 bought a pretty nice or pretty scarce coin. Now it buys mediocre material.

Folks this is 1979 all over again. Prices have knocked out the middle class collectors for stuff that is not that special. This will not last.

I like the low mintage 1 oz Platinum Issues, especially in Proof from the US Mint. The burnished uncs for all the American Eagle issues are a super opportunity also. Look how well the 2006 issues did when the bids in the CDN came out. I also like world gold coins with low mintages. Also any kind of attractive Carson City Issue is a worthwhile acquisition.

Classic rare coins appear maxed out (except for the wealthy collectors we sometimes encounter in here but in my view they are the end user anyhow) and I am amazed at the high premiums I have seen some dealers asking for toned coins. Toning is not a reason to price a coin into the stratosphere either! It is merely a preference and in many instances toned coins are considered "average quality" by people in the know. Yet you will encounter some low life scum asking some outrageous premium on a toned coin. Be wary of dealers trying to hook you into buying coins at many multiples of the price guide price simply because of toning. Buy these and you are indeed the end user. What I have found hilarious about the AT vs OT debate is many of the posters are ignoring how much some purchasers of toned coins are being ripped by paying high premiums.

Do classic coins have a future? Some maybe. At a recent show however, another dealer with the largest inventory of classic coins there was offering me just about any coin he had in his case at CDN Bid or less - that speaks volumes.

I bought a few I needed to stock up on but was not running to the ATM to get more cash..

less than $2500 and under............................

nice gem circulated scarce/better date 18th-19th century copper/silver type coins

The selection stinks, and the prices are very high, even in grades like PR-64, which is my target. You can't find much in Seated Proof half dollars, and the quality is mostly dipped out with impaired mirrors.

You're not kidding. Mark Feld looked for over two years on my behalf to find a SL half PAR64 Cam and never had any luck. So, instead, I bought a MS64 1879 half from TomB which looks more proof like than most proofs! I love that coin, btw!

Maybe my bias is showing as a type collector but I think that nice, mid grade proof 19th century types will always be in demand. The mediocre stuff-forget it. But coins with great eye-appeal will always be wanted.

Bill, I was just looking at your type set today and you have material that there's no way I'll ever be able to afford. Rejoice that you got in the market when you did! I can only imagine having some of the coins you have. And we're not even talking about gold types.