• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cleaning nickels

6 posts in this topic

I know what to clean copper and silver without damaging the coins, but what does one clean nickels with.I'm not talking about dipping or harsh cleansing, just to get rid of dirt/grime-I've tried soap and water but it doesn't do the trick. Is there a product that will not harm the coin, yet will clean the grime/dirt/stains?

acetone will remove haze and dirt ect but will not affect the toning on the coin. How long to leave it in depends on how much haze or dirt is on the coin. Whenever using acetone i find it is always best to work with it in a warm place. This will prevent the coins from foging up after and they will air dry perfectly.

MS70 works well, but leaves nickel with a slightly unnatural too-bright appearance, especially on circulated coins.

Goo Gone (not a coin cleaner specifically, but a citrus-based cleaner available at many stores) works well.

I have mixed results with acetone. It depends what's on the coin. Plus it's very nasty to work with - use in a well-ventilated area only!

I have a bottle of Nic-A-Lene I have not yet tried.