• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Getting reaquainted book? Any suggestions?

11 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, my dad gave me the neatest coin collecting book (The Official Guide to COin COllecting by Brad Mills). It's dated now and much has changed. Can any of you recommend a good book to get me a bit more current on the hobby? I'm interested in US coins of the past 100+ years. Nothing really old...

Thanks!

Mike

Hi mlovest

When I was getting reacquainted myself I found The Coin Collector's Survival Manual by Scott Travers to be quite helpful. A good overview of what went on while I was away like the advent of slabbing companies as well as some general advice.

Another can't go wrong choice would be the red book, officially A Guide Book of United States Coins by R.S. Yeoman and published annually.

Hope this helps,

-JamminJ

Buy "Walter Breen's Encyclopedia of United States Coins." Yes, it's well over 10 years old. Yes, some of the statements about rarity in there have been disproven. Yes, some of the author's bias shows through. And yes it will cost you $100 or more.

Still I can’t think of ONE source that has so much useful information in it.

Follow the link that Hoot provided and you will see a large list of books that members like very much for various reasons.

As far as someone new to collecting, I think the PCGS Guide to Grading and Counterfeit Detection is really quite valuable.

If you're interested in the current state of the hobby, I strongly second the recommendation of Scott Travers' Coin Collector's Survival Manual. It's a great explanation of how to go about collecting coins, what not to do, etc., as well as a discussion of the grading services and the numismatic periodicals. It's the book I wish I had read first when I got back into collecting!

As for a great general book on coins, the Red Book (A Guide Book of United States Coins) or Coin World's The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of US Coins are both excellent annual retail price guides with explanatory text. The Red Book also has a brief bibliography at the end of each section that lists books on specific coin series (Buffalo nickels, Seated Liberty Dimes, etc.)

If you're into Morgans & Peace dollars, I suggest The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan & Peace Dollars by Leroy Van Allen and Geo. Mallis. It covers the history of Morgan and Peace dollars, how they were manufactured, discussion of the significant VAM's (broken down by year) and varieties (clashed dies, die breaks, errors, etc.), grading, how to photograph coins and more. There is also a section about the GSA and Redfield Dollars. They're available on eBay for around $55.

It's been an excellent reference book for me.

I picked up Breen's Encyclopedia off an Amazon.com third-party seller: brooklyn-gallery for 87.50 plus shipping. There was one other third-party seller with a nickle cheaper price but a much lower customer rating, skip him. . Just go to Amazon, look up the Breen book and than hit the "new and used from:" button.

As far as someone new to collecting, I think the PCGS Guide to Grading and Counterfeit Detection is really quite valuable.

i agree!!!!!!

that is a great start

michael