• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOW GOOD IS ANACS WITH EARLY COMMEMS.

10 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how well ANACS does early commemorative halves in particular? Are their grading considered acceptable in the marketplace. I don't see very many down here in south Florida. Lots of NTC, but you all know that story, and they're local.

ANACS' strength IMO is in 19th century circulated coins. They do a decent job with them for the most part, but their strength also has to do with the overgrading that PCGS and NGC do that area. Bottom line ANACS grading for circulated older coins and for key date 20th century coins is as good or better than the big boys.

ANACS tends to be less conservative in their grading of 20th century Mint State and Proof coinage. This applies to the old commemoratives as well. Therefore, at least from a marketing perspective and often from a REAL perspective, ANACS "old commemortives" are not as well regarded. You should pay less for them grade for grade, BUT when it comes time to sell, it will be harder to sell them, AND you can expect to get lower prices.

My own experience with ANACS early commems has been both limited and mixed. My Stone Mt. in MS65 is PQ for the grade. My Long Island in MS65 is a very original coin that is solid in the grade but no more. The Delaware I own in MS 65 is completely original but suffers from carbon specking. It probably doesn't belong in a 65 holder due to eye-appeal problems. My Columbia, SC in MS66 is well struck and mark free It would probably get a 66 from NGC but probably only a 65 from PCGS...still, a very nice coin. A Bridgeport in MS65 that I recently bought on eBay was returned as the coin was very dipped-out and probably worth no more than 63 money. (This last coin may be a problem as the seller hit me with a "no returns on certified coins" line AFTER I had told him I was returning it. I returned it anyway. We''ll see what happens. I am getting fed up with low end eBay sellers of this type!)

Thanks for the info.. I'm considering them because unlike pcgs and ngc they will slab cleaned coins. Years ago, unfortunately for me, when I was a bit of an amateur I unknowlingly purchased a few that had been cleaned or dipped.

I hate the fact that they cannot be slabbed for that reason by pcgs or ngc. I think its a waste not to, and as long as it's clearly printed on the holder it's completely legitimate. All because a coin had been cleaned or dipped it shouldn't preclude it from receiving an honest expert opinion based on numerical grade. Perhaps they can make a special holder with a scarlet 'C' on the front.

sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

I am not an expert so I cant add anything. But I do have an available relavent picture for others to judge. Its a heavy toned oregon ANACS MS63. I wonder if NGC and PCGS would even slab this. My taste in coins is a little unusual. I prefer toned uncleaned coins that show their age. (dipping is cleaning like AT almost in my book) The surfaces of this coin seem very clean to me for a 63 but maybe the toning (most consider ugly) brought down the grade. grin.gifsumo.gif

264405-63oregontonedobverse.jpg.1e2157d849d469320e0bcf82536dbbe8.jpg

Robert

Agree with the posters above. A fair percentage of ANACS commems would cross over to NGC or PCGS at the same grade but certainly not all of them. You frankly do not see a whole lot of nice commems in ANACS holders and most people putting a set together would focus on the other two services.

Regarding your cleaned commems, You may want to consider that ANACS commems net graded at MS-60, AU or XF levels will not have much market value. The vast majority of non-problem commems grade much higher.

It may not be worth your money to have the more common commemorative coins graded. Low end Mint State (less than MS-63) and cleaned or circulated examples of common pieces like Stone Mountain, Columbian, Cleveland, Booker T. Washington and Washinton-Carver to name a few are not worth slabbing. If you have an Hawaiian, Missouri or Pan-Pac half dollar, it might be worth your while if the coins are not really messed up.

Thanks for the info.. I'm considering them because unlike pcgs and ngc they will slab cleaned coins. Years ago, unfortunately for me, when I was a bit of an amateur I unknowlingly purchased a few that had been cleaned or dipped.

I hate the fact that they cannot be slabbed for that reason by pcgs or ngc. I think its a waste not to, and as long as it's clearly printed on the holder it's completely legitimate. All because a coin had been cleaned or dipped it shouldn't preclude it from receiving an honest expert opinion based on numerical grade. Perhaps they can make a special holder with a scarlet 'C' on the front.

sign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gifsign-rantpost.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

My advice to you regarding the cleaned coins is to just sell them raw and take your loss. Spending money to have this type of coin slabbed is an example of throwing good money after bad. ANACS NET graded coins are poor sellers.

I am not an expert so I cant add anything. But I do have an available relavent picture for others to judge. Its a heavy toned oregon ANACS MS63. I wonder if NGC and PCGS would even slab this. My taste in coins is a little unusual. I prefer toned uncleaned coins that show their age. (dipping is cleaning like AT almost in my book) The surfaces of this coin seem very clean to me for a 63 but maybe the toning (most consider ugly) brought down the grade. grin.gifsumo.gif

The grading services are paranoid when it comes to this type of toning. I personally like it but the services don't. It was almost certainly downgraded because of the toning. Don't waste your money on attempts to get it upgraded.

I think I'm going to take everyone's advice and not send them in. I'm looking at 200 bucks just for economy so I think I'll skip that, especially if I'm looking at little to no re-sale gains. I think I'll just keep the nicer ones in intercept shield 2x2's and unload the others. Thanks guys.