• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1917 Buffalo Nickel... What do you think it Grades???

8 posts in this topic

AU something, as I think I see high-point wear.

I'd also be concerned with an old cleaning -- the coin surfaces look a bit odd. It could be the photos, though.

All IMHO, respectfully submitted...Mike

Definitely has been cleaned poorly and has retoned badly. The coin has a lot of meat (AU details), but it would require at least a proper dip to get it started again on the right path. I'd agree with Tom that the coin looks porous, but that may just be the toning. If the coin has been harshly cleaned, then it'd do well as a pocket piece for a couple of years to restore the surfaces. Try dipping first.

Hoot

Jewel Lustre (thiourea) works well with nickel. Dilute it 2 parts water to one of JL. Dip the coin for only a few seconds, rinse very well (between 2 and 5 minutes) and reassess. If the coin has been heat treated or is porous, or if the toning is quite thick, it may require rubbing between your fingers while dipping - but only with your fingers, not a cloth or other device. Again, rinse very well and avoid the surfaces with your fingers after you've performed the dip.

Bear in mind, dipping can ruin a coin. Overdipping a coin can cause the surfaces to look dull. Also, you may find that the coin is sort of "lifeless" after you dip it, particularly if it's been whizzed or has been polished, and the present toning was applied to mask these treatments. Since the coin is a low-value piece, there's less to lose and it will likely be a good learning experience. Treat the coin as if it's worth thousands so that you're not cavalier with it.

Best, Hoot.