• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re-photographing my 1830 Large "O" Bust Half

12 posts in this topic

I used to find it thrilling to photograph my coins, but as I'm getting older, I'm getting a little sick and tired of it. I'll still photograph any coin I buy, so I have a 'record' of it so to speak, but my threshold for frustration has become less and less over the years.

My 1830 Large "O" is one of my favorite coins. I searched high and low for one that I liked and let me tell you, it wasn't easy. Suddenly, as it always happens, without fail...after I found this one, all I kept seeing in the marketplace, was 1830 Large "O" Busties. What are you going to do????

But this one is special to me because it's an unmessed with Bust Half, and what I mean by that is it looks like an originally toned coin. Of course, we've discussed this ad-infinitum...what is original or not, so I think you get the gist of what I mean. Gorgeous coin, dove grey centers yielding to iridescent golden brown peripheries. Very yummy.

Now, try to capture this in a photograph. Not easy.

And like many coins, 'in hand' which = chronic motion under a fixed light source with a roving eye, and 'in hand' means one zillion pictures imprinted and interdigitated in your brain. The two dimensional one shot photo deal just doesn't cut it. And...I don't have the patience any longer to try more than a few shots.

So, I'll post my photos. The first ones with the black background were taken quite awhile ago (the coin was in an NGC holder then) and I will confess, I used photshop autofix to bring out the color.

The ones that follow are all shots I took today or yesterday, under a single tungsten light, the first one HEAD ON, so you can see a reflective blur over the hair curls which came off the holder, and the others were hand held (by me) under the light, till I got the color to show without any major reflection off the holder (this IS the big challenge and I can't stand it). These shots, also, are of the coin in a PCGS holder (sorry, I crossed it over). Of course, tilting the coin ruins the focus so I chose the head on shot to replace the earlier photo, for my registry set. But I thought you might like to see this coin, it's just so lovely. Let me know what you think, which photos you might like or dislike and why. I'd appreciate it.

of note, none of the later photos were fixed in ANY WAY other than cropping and sizing for loading up to this page.

45195-1830large0obversex.JPG.cf63f071ff451236a076e5ad4b69a531.JPG

45196-1830largeOreversex.JPG.e76d671e5efc6ee633439f08bf49590d.JPG

45197-1830largeOobverse.JPG.f3c6f14c941178fb16fb740ee28641ce.JPG

45198-1830LargeOreverse.JPG.ff7aa301eed9787d989a3326f29763e1.JPG

45199-1830largeOobversetilted.JPG.79b4ea0f92e657f13cbae33ae6f75344.JPG

45200-1830largeOreversetilted.JPG.c555d18a18e58c4ef2269f5972f4112c.JPG

Mike...

...I am photographically challenged. For some unknown reason when someone discusses different types of photography and lighting, a mental brick wall comes up in my head - and my brain shuts down.

Therefore I cannot tell exactly WHY I like one of your photos over the other.

But I will tell you that I do like the middle (2nd) group of photos best. I have a feeling that it may be closer to the original appearance of the coin. Am I correct?

You stated:

"...I searched high and low for one that I liked and let me tell you, it wasn't easy. Suddenly, as it always happens, without fail...after I found this one, all I kept seeing [were others all over the place]..."

Are we talking about a coin or a woman?

Regards,

Ed R.

Wow, looks almost like three different coins! To be honest, none of the images is eye-popping, but in the first two versions, it looks like a badly doctored coin. It looks MUCH better in the third version.

Just imagine how nice of an image you can take without the encumbrance of the slab.... :)

I like seeing all three images. I feel like I gain some knowledge of the coin's in hand appearance from each one (shrug)

I like all three also, but i really like the 2nd set of photos. (thumbs u

Seems like i can see more luster in 2nd set.

I tend to agree that the different angles so to speak give more of an in hand indication of appearance. This is one fantastic coin, and certainly a keeper.