• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1970-d Washington Quarter - Haze and Grading

5 posts in this topic

I am in the hunt to help a fellow board member complete his birthyear set.

(Dwaine-o)

I have found this nice specimen but I have a few questions for you Quarter Guys ( Bruce Where are you : )

This coin almost has a PROOFLIKE appearance ..

If sent for grading

1 - The tics on the neck will depreciate its grade but is it a Major deterrant to its grade.

2 - There are two haze spots one above the "IN" and One slightly above to the right of the mm "D" - Are these a detriment to grading and would they BB because of them.

3 - I think this is a 66 ... any other opinions ???

45194-1970_d_wash.jpg.cc7993f29184e0ed0848c922b367697d.jpg

66 is a strong possibility unless that's a gouge on the neck. It will get an MS-65 if it is.

It's a very nice coin and an excellent strike but this date doesn't get any bump for being tough. The light chatter in the hair and back of the neck will probably preclude getting 67.

I'll go MS-65. Quarters struck at Denver between 1968 and 1972 do occasionally come prooflike. It so happens that the 1968-D and 1970-D coins in my set have a distinct CAMEO appearance.

I would consider using MS-70 to remove the haze, but would not dip the coin.

No, the haze wouldn't BB it, but it might hinder the grade. In my opinion, with the haze it is a 65, without the haze it is a 66. I am convinced that a couple of my (NGC slabbed) Franklins have the same thing going on, with the haze they are 64, without they would be 65.