• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a Peace dollar 1924 NTC MS66 worth? $74???!!!

16 posts in this topic

It's impossible to tell what the coin should truly grade from the images provided, however, it looks like it isn't a bad coin, so getting the coin for MS65 money, which is what it went for, looks like it was fair.

To begin with, the PCGS price guide is a bit inflated for many of these common issues, as this coin is. It may be a bit more accurate to look at the Greysheet for this coin and the Greysheet lists it at $500.

The big problem with NTC slabbed coins is market acceptance. Truthfully, the only place I see NTC slabbed coins is on ebay where many, many people who are newer to the hobby/industry will spend their money. If you go to a show you will see very few NTC slabbed coins in dealers' inventory. This is because I don't think many people trust that they are a truly legitimate third party certification service.

To be honest, it's probably not worth $74... NTC is notorious for overgrading, and while the picture isn't very good, I see a nice spot on Liberty and on the 2 in 1924... I also would expect there to be some bag marks...

Maybe a 64 or 63, but those trend $50 and $30 respectively...

Jeremy

PCGS tends to bring the most money, and NGC is a close second... of course, that depends on the coin.

NTC is with the lowest of the low... such as gold PCI, ACG, and TruGrade...

Think NewMistrust

My advice is to go to a physical coin shop with some Peace dollars slabbed by NGC and/or PCGS and compare yours to theirs. If you feel that the grade is equal or better than the ones you see you might consider crossing the coin to another slab. If it pulls a 65, you did well, if it goes below 65, then you've lost money (at least according to current prices), but as long as the coin is original (i.e. hasn't been tampered with to the point that it will be "body bagged" and ungraded), you still might have a coin worth hanging onto.

Actually I didn't win this auction. I was just checking it out, and I was surprised by the low price. Of course, if NTC has a poor rep, it was probably the right price!

In that case, my advice would be for ebay auctions to steer away from any that you don't get a good crisp image of the actual coin regardless if its slabbed or not. While you can't really expect one good enough to show every minute hairline, it SHOULD be good enough to show any and all decently sized marks (such as bagmarks).

You've gotten some good advice here.

Both PCGS and NGC have been accepted, if not exactly embraced, by nearly all aspects of the hobby/industry and generally the coins in their slabs will bring the most money at auction or at a show. ANACS is also well respected but many think of them as being somewhat slightly less than PCGS and NGC. I don't know if this is widely true, but it is perception. Also, ICG is viewed as having, on average, a little less value than ANACS. As for these four services though, they are all viewed highly as legitimate services that will generally give you a grading opinion that is a good starting point.

The other services such as PCI, NTC, SEGS or ACG (among others) are not viewed with such acceptance. This is the result of the grading practices employed by the various services as they do not have to adhere to any written, independent standard.

All of these are simply general statements as it is the coin that is the most important aspect and what will determine what it is worth.