• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Certifying First Spouse Coins

17 posts in this topic

Today I received my brand new Jefferson Liberty Proof and Uncirculated coins from the US Mint. I was wondeing if its a good idea to have these coins certified or just leave them in the government holders as I build a collection. I am not a coin dealer just a collector. Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks

SteveD

Leave them in the government holder. Its a better presentation, and unless you want to compete in the registry there is no point in slabbing them.

The mint packaging looks like mess.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and your valued opinions and suggestions. I think I'll leave them as is for now. Still have to go back and get Martha and Abigal. Got shut out when they went on sale from the Mint. Thanks again all...

SteveD

The mint packaging looks like *spoon*.

I thought these things came in nice little boxes. I guess I'll soon find out when the "Fulfillment Center" finally ships my Draped Bust $10 gold piece ... weeks after they emailed me that they were going to ship it.

“Fulfillment Center” is oxymoron like “airline service.”

The mint packaging looks like *spoon*.

I thought these things came in nice little boxes. I guess I'll soon find out when the "Fulfillment Center" finally ships my Draped Bust $10 gold piece ... weeks after they emailed me that they were going to ship it.

“Fulfillment Center” is oxymoron like “airline service.”

I participated in a US Mint discussion group where they had various objects to show us, including the First Spouse boxes (There were no coins :( ). The boxes looked like cheap plastic and a very unworthy holder for a $400 gold coin. I much prefer the blue felt of the American Eagles. It has a more classy feel in my opinion.

The mint claimed that the three piece gold eagle set came in polished wood, but it didn't look like it. At any rate the profits made from those sets in PR-70 holders were such that the coins may as well come in cardboard boxes.

The wooden box commemorative sets of the '70s, '80s and '90s looked like they were more on the mark so far as polished wood is concerned. I thought they had some class.