• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help to ID this coin

5 posts in this topic

My mother gave me this coin among a bunch of other US coin dollars. I could not tell anything about this one. It is not obvious to me what language is on the coin. There is what appears to be a date on it of 1780 but I highly doubt this coin is that old. Perhaps it isn't even currency.

Along the edge it would appear to have a bunch of writing and symbols instead of the usual ridges

263506-Coin1small.jpg.648393fdc9b0c65c69ec605097c1b2ad.jpg

It looks like a Maria Theresa thaler. These had been minted continuously from around 1780 to sometime in the 20th century. I do not know if they are still made. As far as I know, they all have dates in the 18th century.

Thanks guys. I didn't think I could be so lucky to get a 1780 coin is such good condition!!! On top of that it would appear I only have that latest version of the many variations of the Maria Thereesa Thaler.

Oh well. It is .752 silver so still not too bad.