• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1000th post

18 posts in this topic

Thanks to all members who have taught and helped me over the past 1000 posts(nearly), as has been done by many before me and hopefully many after me who have appreciated the fantastic information and assistance given by this board over and over again. I hope this in a small way will show my appreciation. I would like to offer a little trivia quiz for the following 3 coins as a prize. The answer to #1 gets first pick, #2 gets second pick and #3 gets third pick, DUH! The answers must be in depth and correct to win.I will be the final judge and jury as to the answers unless proven wrong. The Eisenhower $1 is still sealed, there are no scratches nor marks on the proof coins-any showing are on the plastic.

The Questions are:

1) What is the physically largest and smallest banknote ever printed in the world?

2) What loonie decided to replace the $1 banknote with a $1 coin-name Country and date and as much info as you can?

3) What city was the first to ever produce its own Gold coin-name the city, date, name of coin originally and later?

I hope you enjoy the trivia game and the coins if you win-GOOD LUCK TO ALL!

The winners will be announced Saturday night after Midnight on 09/29/2007.

THE COINS:

DSC00001.jpgDSC00002.jpg

DSC00005.jpgDSC00006.jpg

DSC00003.jpgDSC00004.jpg

Congrats on your 1000th post there Jim. Have enjoyed you on the boards also. I'll try to give these trivia questions a shot. Thanks for the chance!

#1 = Hungary 100 Million B-Pengo & Fiji 1 penny

#2 = Not sure here. Think it was a canadian Loonie that replaced the a US $1

#3 = Florence, Italy was the first city to mint its own gold coins in 1252

go, go google fingers

To commemorate the Centennial of Independence in 1998 the Philippines issued a banknote 355.6 mm by 215.9 mm or 8.5 inches by 14 inches, the world's largest banknote in size.

Paper money was in short supply in 1920. Ivory Coast issued a series of three notes using postage stamps pasted on cardboards. The denominations are .05 Franc on 5 Centimes, .10 Franc on 10 Centimes and .25 Franc on 25 Centimes. These notes, each 32mm x 46mm, are the world's smallest notes.

Accustomed to paper money and small change, Canadians were not excited about the announcement of a coin to replace the dollar bill in 1987. The change was to save money on printing since coins need fewer replacements than paper in circulation. Using the coin would save about $250 million in costs over 20 years compared to using the green and white $1 bill, estimated the government.

I'll have to make an educated guess that Sardis the capital of Lydia was the first city to mint gold coins.

Ancient city of Sardis.. greek coinage. something like this coin:

Greek 485-420 BC; Persia; Sardis mint; AV Daric of the Achaemenid Empire;

#1 To commemorate the Centennial of Independence in 1998 the Philippines issued a banknote 355.6 mm by 215.9 mm or 8.5 inches by 14 inches, the world's largest banknote in size.

Paper money was in short supply in 1920. Ivory Coast issued a series of three notes using postage stamps pasted on cardboards. The denominations are .05 Franc on 5 Centimes, .10 Franc on 10 Centimes and .25 Franc on 25 Centimes. These notes, each 32mm x 46mm, are the world's smallest notes.

#2 Called the loonie It bears images of a common loon, a well-known Canadian bird, on the reverse, and of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse.

#3 The first gold coins in history were coined by the Lydian king Croesus in about 560 BC

This 1 Kuan banknote of the Ming Dynasty. largest? (shrug)

china1.jpg

Ivory Coast Smallest.notes using postage stamps pasted on cardboards. The denominations are .05 Franc on 5 Centimes, .10 Franc on 10

ivory1x.jpg

1. Largest - 1998 Philippines Centennial 100,000 Piso @ 356mm x 216mm

Smallest - 1920 Ivory Coast 0.10 Franc @ 32mm x 46mm

2) Called the loonie It bears images of a common loon, a well-known Canadian bird, on the reverse, and of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse.

3) The first gold coins in history were coined by the Lydian king Croesus in about 560 BC

Lydia 643 BC

In about 643 to 630 B.C., the Lydians had started to produce the first coins. They were quite crude, and were made of electrum, a naturally occurring pale yellow mixture of gold and silver. These first coins were similar in composition to alluvial deposits found in the silt of the River Pactolus, which ran through the Lydian capital, Sardis.

To commemorate the Centennial of Independence from more than 300 years of Spanish colonial rule in 1998, the government of the Philippines wanted to do something very special. It issued the world's largest banknote, beating the previous record: China Ming Dynasty 1 Kuan.

The 100,000 Piso note measures 356mm x 216mm, the size of a legal page. The front depicts the "Cry of Pugadlawin", when about 1,000 Filipino patriots led by Andres Bonifacio gathered in Pugadlawin, on August 23, 1896. They tore up their Spanish-issued residence certificates and yelled "Long live the Philippines", signalling the start of a revolt against Spain. The back features the proclamation of the Philippine Declaration of Independence in Kawit, Cavite on June 12, 1898.

smallest ivory coast about the size of a stamp or maybe us postal money their stamp size also come in many amounts

Congratulations to Bobby for being first to answer any question correctly-He answered #3 correctly(he also answered #2 but not completely).

Congratulations to Keleum for the second correct answer-he answered #2. He along with many others answered the second part of #1 correctly but missed the other part as they did.

Congratulations to dan8402 , the only person to correctly answer both parts to #1.

The correct answers were:

#1--

Large and small-The largest banknote in the world was

issued by the Philipines in 1998 to commemorate their

independence from the Spanish in 1898. It was a 100,000

Piso note with a size of 21.6 cm x 35.6 cm.Previously the 1

Juan(Kuan) note of the Chinese Ming dynasty was the

largest. The smallest banknote ever was issued in

Romania in 1917. It was a 10 bani with a size of 2.28 x 3.8

cm.-so small a stamp it was pasted onto cardboard.

1989 The Bank of Canada issued the last $1 bill. The paper

buck's departure was preceded in 1987 by the arrival of

the dollar coin, affectionately known as the loonie

1252 Florence, Italy was the first city to mint its own gold

coins in 1252. The fiorino became known as the florence,

then the florin.

Bobby, as first correct winner-your first pick-pm me.

Keleum, as second winner--your second pick-pm me with your address and a 1st and 2nd choice.

Dan8402, as third winner--your third pick-pm me with your address and a 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.

I will send out all coins Monday morning.

Thanks to all who participated and a special thanks to all who have provided well taken advice and information regarding our hobby. Thanks again.