• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2007 1 Cent Error??? This one i pulled from a Brand New Bankroll

34 posts in this topic

Come on out of the 10 people that have looked at this no one has anything to say? this is a major oddity, i don't even know though... Like i said it was found in a bankroll of pennies 1 of 3 that i got from the BB&T bank in New Bern, NC.

I have no idea what it is to be honest.....I thought it might be a strike thru error but the surface of the obverse almost looks wavy like it's been folded.......the only thing I can say for sure is that in my unexpert opinion....I think it's a legitimate mint error and not post mint damage.

10 people is not very many, and there aren't too many error collectors. Cut us some slack, give us some time, and people who know what they are talking about will try their best to answer. Keep in mind that we have lives too, and are not here just to answer your questions. Otherwise, well, we'll get to that later if necessary...

About your coin: That certainly is interesting. I can't really tell from the pictures, but I would be inclined to say that it is either a strikethrough of major proportions, or some kind of error in the lamination process. The way the obverse looks bubbled (tell me if it actually raised or not) it looks like when the copper plating was applied, there was a gas bubble. This is not unheard of, but usually it is much smaller - it manifests as freckles on the coin. I am not sure about this though, because i don't think this would affect the reverse like it has.

the back of the coin is raised; on the front of the coin for example purposes " if you have installed carpet recently, they have to stretch the carpet" well it looks like the copper was stretched and not flattened properly so you can see the "wavy-ness", but you can see the eye and nose clearly, so the coin is not distorted... I tried to look the coin up on google and ebay, but alas nothing.

Any information would be great.

JaDunlap.

the back of the coin is raised; on the front of the coin for example purposes " if you have installed carpet recently, they have to stretch the carpet" well it looks like the copper was stretched and not flattened properly so you can see the "wavy-ness", but you can see the eye and nose clearly, so the coin is not distorted... I tried to look the coin up on google and ebay, but alas nothing.

Any information would be great.

JaDunlap.

That is what I thought of when I first saw it. But I have never heard of that happening on a coin.

I'm going to lean to post-mint damage on this one. The design seems to be present in the affected areas and basically normal, so it doesn't appear to be a strike through. The fact that the reverse is raised in this area would also support this; I really cannot conceive of any error mechanism which would cause this.

Let me note in this case I only claim 50-60% certainty in what I am thinking above.

That is one interesting Lincoln...........could he be a cousin of Jimmy Durante?

I don't think it was a strike-through because the long area from northeast to southwest on the reverse appears to be recessed except for a small area beneath the statue of Lincoln at the base of the steps. It looks to be raised. Also, a strike-through wouldn't show as a bulge on the opposite side since it would be opposed by the opposite die.

It may have been a massive gas bubble that collapsed immediately after striking (much as a souffle might when it is removed from the oven) while the pressure of the bubble caused it to bulge on the other side.

Cool!

Chris

That is one interesting Lincoln...........could he be a cousin of Jimmy Durante?

I don't think it was a strike-through because the long area from northeast to southwest on the reverse appears to be recessed except for a small area beneath the statue of Lincoln at the base of the steps. It looks to be raised. Also, a strike-through wouldn't show as a bulge on the opposite side since it would be opposed by the opposite die.

It may have been a massive gas bubble that collapsed immediately after striking (much as a souffle might when it is removed from the oven) while the pressure of the bubble caused it to bulge on the other side.

Cool!

Chris

I'm inclined to think this is close to what it is, although I'm not at all sure. Something that dramatic would show a lot of zinc, I'm thinking, if it were post mint damage, unless it was copper plated afterwards. That's a good one! :)

Best guess: I think if it were a pre-strike flaw (gas bubble) the strike would not have been so crisp between the folds of the metal.

To me it looks pressed and the metal buckled to create the folds.

Jadunlap, welcome to the forum and what a neat coin. I am by no means proficient in this type of damage to a coin, as I have never seen this type of damage. Whether premint or postmint I cannot say although I lean to premint as there appears to be no distortion of the rim/edge which would have to occur were the coin to have been squeezed from the edges. I would send this to NGC or PCGS regardless of the cost just to get a final answer as to the cause. Great find and good luck.

Cool!

Chris

I'm inclined to think this is close to what it is, although I'm not at all sure. Something that dramatic would show a lot of zinc, I'm thinking, if it were post mint damage, unless it was copper plated afterwards. That's a good one! :)

If it is a gas bubble, then it is certainly the largest I have ever heard of. The fact that there is no zinc showing is exactly why I am inclined to believe it is a mint error, and not post-mint.

Before sending it in to NGC, I would recommend letting the guys at CONECA take a look. They are definitely the error experts, and if it is something erroneous, they will not only confirm it but help publicize it. Plus you can save some grading fees for something that might not be worth it.

Remember, pressure creates heat. It is very possible that there was an air bubble in the zinc and the pressure from the strike caused the air to superheat. That could have softened the copper to the point of being semi liquid. Then as it cooled it shrunk. All this would have to happen in milliseconds. If you will look at the top of the coin, there seems to be a little zinc showing where I think the superhot air vented some of the pressure. This would have been the only escape route between the die and collar for excess pressure.

I will say it would take just the perfect set of circumstances for all this to come together, but I see no other explanation.

I am sure there some out there that can give us the volume of air and the pressure required to make the air hot enough to soften the copper.

I also thought of water in the zinc, but it would have exploded the coin outward as the water turned to steam, so I discounted that one. And I do not think oil or grease inside would have heated enough under the pressure.

Whatever cused it, I think you have a unique and interesting coin. A definite candidate to have graded and attributed.

MM hm

Looking at this a second time, I believe it could have also been a pinpoint flame torch that could cause this......Post Mint......

Looks like the coin was overheated. Zinc melts at 787.15 °F. Copper melts at 1984.32 °F. In other words the zinc melted before the copper and this distorted the copper outer coating. Perhaps, the die striking the coin became overheated above 787.15 F zinc melt temp thus causing this flaw.

Upon looking at the reverse of the coin I would say it was laid across the heating element of a stove. I have done this many times to make rainbow toned coins and if I leave them there on the burner to long then this is what happens to them.

In my personal opinion the "stove" would heat up to approx. 1700 degrees and the entire coin would eventually bend if left sitting on even the heating element. I see how this is possible,but unfortunately i have an electric stove which only heats up to about 680 degrees. The coin was in an Original mint roll from the bank. So how could post-mint damage happen in the original mint roll?

yeah i can see that happening, but with a gas bubble wouldn't the copper on the reverse be easily pressed in? i can't push it in even with a flat piece of wood with a thick cloth inbetween. it seems like casting of a sword, where you heat it, cast it, and cool it. so that it stays in that particular design.

I think i may try to send it in for a certification of some sort. But not sure for what.

I have seen a similar error on a 2007 Proof Lincoln that I have, though not to the same extent it does show where the copper layer has a wrinkle in it that extends from the rim at the 4 o'clock position to the 7 o'clock position, I believe that the first strike on the proof pulled the lamination up and the second strike folded it over.

2007ser1a.jpg

2007ser1b.jpg

The heating during striking is an interesting theory and the dies and coins do get hot during striking. The problem is that the dies and the coins don't get to more than about 200 degrees at most. And heat high enough to have cause a bubble to have expanded like that would have also resulted in the copper oxidizing severely unless it was done in a low or no oxygen environment. Hardly something you would find inside a coining press.

The clear details of the die in the folded areas tell use that at one time (during the striking) they must have been flat. Also if by some miracle the planchet did have a massive bubble under the plating, the strike could have flattened it to allow the strike details, but it would have most likely have forced out the gas, but if it didn't would the gas have had enough power to "re-inflate" the bubble? Finally if it was just a gas bubble in the plating I would not expect to see ANYTHING on the reverse side of the coin. It should be completely normal but it isn't. It definitely shows some kind of bulge as if from a bend or an impact on the coin. If that had been there before striking the force of the dies would have flattened it out and what ever caused it. So from what I see so far I would say that it is post mint damage of some kind, not a mint error.

Yes but if it's post mint it would take almost 1800 degrees of Temp. to do something like this, and the coin would be no more, as it would have melted... i have taken another cent and tried to re-create this "oddity" with a precision blow torch, but within about 3-5 seconds the coin is completely melted. And the stove, well my electric stove doesn't get hot enough to do something like this, as it gets to about 680 Degrees, not even hot enough to make zinc bubble, much less Copper fold.

I'm still completely unsure of what to do, and what to think.