• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Historically significant coins under 50K

12 posts in this topic

The answer to that is no, because I'd like you to qualify what is historical. For example, is the 1860 $5.00 Mormon considered historical?

I think it is quite historical, but others don't.

So please, feel free to bring into the picture what you think is historical.

Definitely need a definition. But by most definitions I know of, there are lots and lots of historically significant coins under $50,000. In fact, I'd say there are lots and lots under $100.

As an example of a classification of coins under $50,000 that I'd consider historically significant:

1. Colonial coinage

2. Early US coinage

3. Higher grade ancient coinage (I have actually seen an uncirc PL Tetradrachm)

4. I believe branch mint gold is under $50,000 for the most part

And many more

To nwcs' point about Colonial coinage, I would cite the Fugio cent. I think it's as historically significant as just about any coin, and is very affordable. It's included in the "Greatest 100 US Coins" book.

For $50 grand you can get some truly outstanding historical coinage. How about the 1792 half disme that was made from silver that George Washington donated? Thomas Jefferson supervised the production of these coins, and he and Washington personally handed them out to people. The price has been run way up on these, but $50K will still buy a choice VF with same enough change to buy a couple of early decent early half dimes.

How about a commemorative medal that was conceived by and struck for Benjamin Franklin that celebrated the French and American victory in the Revolutionary War? As an added bonus the obverse was the inspiration for the pole to cap design that appeared on our early copper coinage. That one would leave enough from for $50 grand to buy a very nice new car.

When I look at the prices that some people pay for very common coins, with no history, that have only preservation going for them just so they can buy a higher spot on the registries, I just shake my head. 893frustrated.gif

Let's see $24,000 + $3,600 = 27,600 for a Continental Dollar. It seems high, but given the current market, not surprising. My only comment is, "What goes up MIGHT come down." Continental dollars have been up and down before.

Or you could spend $22,000 for a Gem Mint Red 1940 cent.

If I had $30,000 that I HAD to spend on coins the choice would be a "no brainer." juggle.gif

Truly historical Roman bronzes can be picked up for five or ten dollars in excellent condition. Roman and Greek silver is likely about as historical as you can get. These represent crucial times in human history and the development of western civilization. These coins can be easily acquired in excellent condition for ten to twenty dollars. If this is more history than one can stand or the price is a little steep then consider the very first clad coins to be minted can be acquired for well under $1 in mint condition. Indeed, they are even available in high circulated grades in circulation for twenty five cents!!! These are not only extremely historical but available to the budget minded. Problem coins are almost never seen, so there is very limited risk. It also is unnecessary to have these graded since they are so affordable and you needn't worry about a dealer overcharging.