• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you do?

22 posts in this topic

I received my NGC renewal packet yesterday. It came with the 5-coin, Earlybird grading certificate and a BU GW$, "First Day of Issue". Thank you, NGC!

The question remains, "How should I use the certificate?" Naturally, I'm going to send in some Morgans. But, which ones should I send?

Should I submit those that I think would be attributed DMPL (sorry, I mean DPL)?

Should I submit those that could be close to a bump to the next higher grade?

Should I submit those that would gain considerably more in value because of a bump?

Should I submit those that have really nice toning in order to preserve it. (Sorry, Lou, we don't have "scenic seals" in my part of Florida. That's only in the Orlando area.)

Should I submit some of my CC Morgans?

Or, should I submit an example of each?

I can rule out VAM's because all of the ones that I have raw (about 100) are not included in the NGC attribution guidelines.

Without seeing any photos of the candidates, what would you do? Also, please tell me the basis for your reasoning.

Chris

I vote you go with the Toners but honestly.......I might go with the higher dollar value coins if I were you?

I'll go back and edit my original post because I omitted this: "Please tell me the basis for your reasoning."

I have no intention of selling any of them, Shane, but how did you know that I have to raise $600K by November 28? :o :o :o

Chris

I vote you go with the Toners but honestly.......I might go with the higher dollar value coins if I were you?

I agree. And, the last I heard, the grading services are tight in their grading so I wouldn't try for a bump in grade just yet.

I agree. And, the last I heard, the grading services are tight in their grading so I wouldn't try for a bump in grade just yet.

I've heard this, too, but I understood that it was moreso for earlier coinage.

Chris

Who in their right mind would even HAVE any Morgans on hand, much less want to submit them for grading :mad:???? They're just basically junky silver rounds! Nobody collects 'em anymore!!!!!!! Not even closet dwellers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who in their right mind would even HAVE any Morgans on hand, much less want to submit them for grading :mad:???? They're just basically junky silver rounds! Nobody collects 'em anymore!!!!!!! Not even closet dwellers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, if everyone feels that way, send them to me. I'll give them a good home! :devil:

Chris :hi:

PS. Okay, look, everyone gets these grading certificates every year upon renewal. Of course, not everyone hoards Morgans in their closet. By the way, James, did I mention that the closet in the master bedroom is 10'x15'? :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: It doesn't matter if you're hoarding CBH's, IHC's, Shield Nickels or whatever. Surely, everyone has their own view on what to submit. There are no wrong answers to my questions, but for the sake of discussion, I would like to stick to Morgans.

Another point that gave me cause to ponder your post........................Does that mean that you want to get rid of those Kraft Morgans? :cloud9::takeit::bump:

Chris

geez,last week they were just NCLT, now they're not even that. Just silver rounds and not even .9999 pure.

If I had 5 free grading coupons, I'd auction them off on eBay. donating the money to Numismatists anonymous...

Serious question though, would getting them slab really prevent further toning? Or is your intent just to protect the toning on them.

I think I would inspect all the morgans closely, look at the market values (pcgs guide, ebay sales, etc..) and go with what you would think would value higher from the choice of all. I would also be at least one grade conservative when inspecting these. JMO

Serious question though, would getting them slab really prevent further toning?

(SERIOUS REPLY)I can't answer that. (JOKE)The Morgans have been around alot longer than I have.

Or is your intent just to protect the toning on them. Yes!

Probably someone like Ron Sirna (Newmismatist) could answer this. He has a collection of toned Morgans to die for!

Chris

I would send my favorite low value Morgans in as the grading is FREE

am i just being a thick English man or is that not the point of the free tokens

IE: 1921 for the registry set etc !!!

Favorite?.......................Possibly!

Low value?..................Why? The Earlybird is intended for U.S. coins with a maximum value of $3,000 each.

Thick Englishman?................I can't say because I'm not used to driving on the wrong side of the road. I always stay within my lane unless some Limey tourist is coming straight for me. lol

Chris

Probably the DPLs. They'd likely benefit most from the protection of a slab; and, although I don't know, I wouldn't be surprised if the spread between the prices of raw coins and encapsulated/designated DPLs is fairly large.

Low value?..................Why? The Earlybird is intended for U.S. coins with a maximum value of $3,000 each.

Thick Englishman?................I can't say because I'm not used to driving on the wrong side of the road. I always stay within my lane unless some Limey tourist is coming straight for me. lol

Chris

Sorry i don't have any coins in the $3,000 bracket !

How can you say that about the roads !! you have to cut across lanes to turn at a crossroads :screwy: whats that all about.. ? why are Americans so scared of roundabouts and bends in the road.. oh yes it fall asleep automatic (lazy) gearbox.. could you imagine it having to think about driving while in the car shocking .. lol:jokealert:

Send all the coins to me first and I will take my time picking out the 5 coins that I believe will be the best choice. Next year when you get 5 more coupons, I will send you 5 more coins and so on. Thank you and I will be waiting by the mailbox.

John :)

Send all the coins to me first and I will take my time picking out the 5 coins that I believe will be the best choice. Next year when you get 5 more coupons, I will send you 5 more coins and so on. Thank you and I will be waiting by the mailbox.

John :)

Pacific Northwest, huh? I'll send them sometime between Thanksgiving and St. Patty's Day, but I can't be sure of the exact date so you may as well camp out at your mailbox for four months.

Chris :devil:

Since I would only send in coins in order to maximize their value when sold, I would send in the most valuable ones, and/or the ones that have much of their value in their conditional rarity (i.e. small deviation in grade yields large deviation in price)....Mike

Chris

How can you say that about the roads !!

I always suspected that Englishmen didn't have the slightest idea where they were going. They just get on a road and follow it to wherever. hm

you have to cut across lanes to turn at a crossroads :screwy: whats that all about.. ?

In the city where I live, it is a matter of necessity. If you follow most streets for any considerable distance, you will probably end up in a canal.

why are Americans so scared of roundabouts and bends in the road..

Dooly, if you ever have a chance to visit us from across the pond, I would like to take you to Dupont Circle in Washington, D.C. on a snowy workday. The traffic circle (mid-Atlantic terminology for roundabout) is in the heart of Embassy Row. Most embassy staffers from countries near the equator have never driven in snow. There used to be bars around the circle, and you could watch all the "fun" from inside. It was better than any comedy club.

oh yes it fall asleep automatic (lazy) gearbox.. could you imagine it having to think about driving while in the car shocking ..

Sorry, but my teenage years were spent in the "muscle car" era. No self-respecting boy would be caught dead driving an automatic where I lived.

I hope you realize that I'm just having a little fun with you. Now, back to the original topic................I don't have any $3K coins either.

Chris