• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any comments on this coin's toning?

10 posts in this topic

I see that this coin has been viewed a bunch without many guesses. Kinda odd. Anyway, I'll tell you what it is. It's a MS coin from an original roll I placed into a book printed in the 1920s that has been in my garage since about March. Of the 4 identical coins (meaning 4 from the same original roll), 1 other toned like this. 1 toned somewhat similarly but not as completely and the other was just plain splotchy with the same color.

Confession time, as an experiment I sent it's twin (toned in the same manner) in and it was certified MS-66. It's a market acceptible coin I believe, but a 'tweener when it comes to toning intent.

Neil

As with many things, it's in the eye of the beholder. Exceptional toning, that is, the toning that makes you drool and stop and gawk are a definite premium. Above average eye appeal toning still carries a premium as well. The rest carry little premium and unappealing toning will negatively impact a coin's value.

Of course, this applies only to coins that acquired their toning without the help of chemicals or liquids being manually applied to the coin surface to accelerate the toning.

Neil

I've got to be honest with you, Neil. I looked at the attachment and did not like the coin. That is not to say that I thought anything had been done to the coin, rather, it just didn't appeal to me. That type of toning is seen a bit and it's just, I don't know, it's just just... Does that make any sense. So, I saw the image and was not moved to write about it.

No problem. smile.gif I wasn't emotionally invested in this coin as it was an experiment with a $10 coin (since I think it'd grade 65). I wanted to see what would happen. I have another going on with a Franky which is actually looking a bit different from this.

The toning on this piece does not do anything for me. If it continues to develop, it will become a dull brown without the “pop” that the toned coin collectors really like. It just the usual stuff that forms when a silver coin is placed in contact with sulfur, in this case the sulfur in the paper of the pages of a book.

Really pretty toning is an abnormal occurrence. If anyone could cause it to form on coins consistently in a fairly short period of time, they could make a lot of money, at least for a while. After a while, however, the old supply factor would kick in and the prices for toned coins would drop. Then the bright white coins would come back into vogue and a lot of toned coins would get dipped and diminished in the process.

My attitude is to leave 95%+ of the coins alone and preserve them properly for future generations. Making them acceptable for the current market usually damages them for the future.