• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My MAD EMOTIONAL eBay impulse buy

8 posts in this topic

I saw this Mercury Dime starting at $0.50 and tought why not take a chance. Then I looked at this guy's other auctions and found a lot of stuff starting $0.50. I put in for a bunch of his stuff. Then this another guy comes along and bumps about 20 of my items past my $5 max near the end. He was obviously hunting my upper limit because there were multiple bids just minutes apart. I got pissed off at this guy and just put in $10 for to keep him from stealing every one of my bids. At any rate he bid more than $10 and and I lost. My last minute huff cost him an extra (20 x $5) $100!!!! However this was one coin he did not bid over $10.

I was happy for a bit that I cost this guy and I was happy to win this dime. Then I thought if I was too rash and bid with my emotions instead of my brain. Now I am asking you guys if this dime looks ok. The seller feedback is excellent.

My mad purchase

You may or may not have cost the other guy $100 because your bids may have inhibited another user from bidding at approximately the same level.

As for your dime, well, I'd rather be honest than political. It looks like a nice enough coin but I think you paid too much. I always have items insured, whether buying or selling, so your total on this coin is actually $12.51 when you include shipping and insurance. To me, that is slightly too much for this coin. However, if you are happy with it then there is no issue. Also, we are only talking about a few dollars that I think you overpaid, again, that is relatively nothing.

As for ebay, when I bid I do so very close to the end of the auction after I have thought out well in advance what my maximum bid is and then I bid my maximum. In this way you avoid the emotional bidding wars.

As for ebay, when I bid I do so very close to the end of the auction after I have thought out well in advance what my maximum bid is and then I bid my maximum. In this way you avoid the emotional bidding wars.
Tom, there's another reason to bid late (ie snipe)... no one can bid you up...

For instance, say I want to bid $100 flat on a coin (of course, I always bid an odd increment, like $100.27 incase someone else decides to bid $100)...

I can bid with 3 days left, and someone can bid $50, then $55, and keep nudging me up. On the other hand, if they feel no competition, maybe they'll leave their $50 bid the first time. When there are 5 seconds left and you bid $100, you'll still get it at the other person's max plus the increment, but that other person doesn't have time to bid you up.

So you can sit back and be bid up... popcorn.gif

Or snipe and win 893applaud-thumb.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy, I never wrote that I bid early, I wrote that I determine my bid early. These are very different. I snipe on every bid I post on ebay, I just know well in advance what the item is worth to me.

Please read the quote again that you took from me. wink.gif

Please read the quote again that you took from me. wink.gif
893scratchchin-thumb.gif... Oops confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, well... you can snipe some stuff from me in Parsippany grin.gif... then maybe I'll learn to read wink.gif

Jeremy

PS- I did have a calc test, english test, and french quiz today 893whatthe.gif... calc and french were the first two periods of the day... cut me some slabc 893frustrated.gif