• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 1970-d Kennedy out of Cello - Argggggghhhhhh

11 posts in this topic

Yup. I got a whole roll of these. That guy that does the kennedy die polishing really likes to bear down...

Must use 10 grit! :o

Or maybe this is the "enhanced" neck hair version....

ken.jpg

ken1.jpg

MM :makepoint:

MM, I'm not sure what you are referencing is die polish. I've seen that same feature on pretty much every Kennedy, although yours is stronger (which would make sense seeing as how it was the first year - better details on the hub). As for the original post's die polish, I agree with James, I like it. Die polish on an otherwise uninteresting coin to me adds character, uniqueness, and makes me want it more. Not to mention it is a surefire way to identify varieties.

To me it almost looks harshly cleaned. In other words, the lines look like hairlines.

If that’s the case, how can we tell the difference between heavy die polish and a cloth cleaning?

ken1.jpg

I have one like this. Under the microscope, the lines are definitely raised and it looks like someone at the Mint may have used a wire brush to clean gunk off of the die. (shrug)

Chris

RE: New 1970-d Kennedy out of Cello

This can easily happen when you store your coins in a cello. Rosin ruins coins. Good that you got them out! I store mine in a tuba. The only problem is that ones at the bottom get a little damp from spit buildup.

This can easily happen when you store your coins in a cello. Rosin ruins coins. Good that you got them out! I store mine in a tuba. The only problem is that ones at the bottom get a little damp from spit buildup.

And no sharps..............just flats!

Chris

And no sharps..............just flats!

Chris

:signfunny: