• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan Lovers - Guess the Grade - 1897-p - Have Fun - Revealed

23 posts in this topic

No Copping out that it can not be determined by the pictures :)

I will say that I do not agree with the assigned grade but thats the way it goes sometime :(

44954-1897_p.jpg.6f055cfe3811caad7cca77500c5ec7a3.jpg

I'll say it's a 62 which should slab as a 63, since Morgan grades are a growth industry. :) I'm guessing they looked at the slight rub on the talons and eagle's head, panicked and called it a 58.

No Copping out that it can not be determined by the pictures :)

I will say that I do not agree with the assigned grade but thats the way it goes sometime :(

This post was bringing up a few leftover animosities that were STILL locked up inside myself :(

PCI - bahhhhh humbug ...

This will be cracked out and sold with these pictures

45010-1897_pci.jpg.47ed02dadb036dfd13924e175c6b7306.jpg

PCI grading can be all over the piece. I remember a collector brought a bunch of PCI graded 1881-S dollar to my table at show. One of the coins that was in an MS-66 holder was not as good one of his MS-63 graded coins. (shrug) Given the many changes in ownership of the company over the years, I don't put much stock in what it says on the holder.

Not surprised. If you're not a Morgan expert (and I wonder how many of those PCI has around the building?), and the last 8 Morgans you've seen have been 1880- and 1881-S's, this one's going to look AU to you.

Frankly, I expected to see the same number in a PCGS slab.

Well Looks like JT gave up - who wants to go down in a sunk ship

"As of September 26,2007

J.T. Stanton is no longer working at PCI Inc."

http://www.pcicoins.com/

That's interesting. The fact that he went there never made me consider sending them any coins or even buying any of their gold label coins. If they had changed the label and their grading standards they might have gained some respect.

When James Taylor went to ANACS he at least tried to make some changes for the better. I think ANACS did take one step forward but when he left I think they have taken two steps back. I think PCI is backed against a wall and can't really take any steps back since JT never took them forward.