• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned civil war gold half eagle

6 posts in this topic

It looks like it might be cool. When you get it in-hand you should post images that show the coin with better lighting so we can see the toning pattern more clearly.

Actually I have it in hand. :) It's very difficult to find an angle that highlights the toning without tons of glare. But it is a nice shade of red.

Yes, that's a nice looking gold coin.

I've thought about putting together a year set of the 1861 gold pieces. At the start of the Civil War, the Union tried to finance it was gold, but Lincoln and co. learned pretty fast that that was impossible. As a result the mintages were high for every gold coin EXCEPT the "useless" three dollar gold piece.

So far the only 1861 dated gold coin I have is the double eagle. That happened to be coin I purcahsed for type. Maybe some day I'll go for the others although I won't be spending the big bucks for another three dollar gold piece.