• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit 1837 Half Dollars

12 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I just picked up a 1837 half dollar. I was looking on ebay and noticed that there were some differences with other 1837 coins, primarily that it says E plurius unium on it and 50c.

So its a counterfeit half dollar? What's the story behind those, does anyone know or have a link? Also, are the counterfeit or the real one worth more and how much are they worth?

thanks.

I'm not certain that I understand completely what it is that you bought, so, do you have an image of it? The half dollars of 1837 should have "50 CENTS" written on the bottom of the reverse and they do not have "E PLURIBUS UNUM" on them at all.

I have never seen an 1837 as you describe and I also have a copy of Keith Davignon's book Contemporary Counterfeit Capped Bust Half Dollars and I cannot find a coin imaged or listed as you describe.

How about more details! smile.gif

You're right, that looks very odd. To me, and this is simply from the single image you posted, the coin does not look like a contemporary counterfeit since it is so well made. Usually, these contemporary counterfeits were much more poorly made and then were artificially worn down by the makers so as to make it easier to pass them off. It looks like you might have something like a fantasy piece or you have a later counterfeit, perhaps even Asian made. Please note that I have not seen the obverse and am only going by your descriptions and the image. It is interesting, though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Off the top of my head, I'd say that you have one of the German counterfeits that was made in the 1830s or '40s. They did a half way decent job of duplicating the the lettered edge half dollars, but they put reeded edge half dollars dates on them. They also often made Ms. Liberties with very large noses. Does this coin have a lettered edge? If it does it is one of those counterfeits.

I have one of these counterfeits in my collection. Since I have moved I would have a hard time locating that piece for a picture. There are photoes of them in Don Taxy's book on counterfiet and mis-struck U.S. coins.

I'd say that is what you have, and it's probably worth $30 or so, but don't let the Secret Service know you have it. They are technically illegal to own. foreheadslap.gif

Yes, it has the lettered edge and the miss Liberty does look bigger then in the regular coins.

The reason I noticed the difference is because I also found an 1838 half dollar, a real one, but for some reason someone put a hole through the top and put a chain in it so that they can wear it. Strange.

There are 9 known varieties of bogus 1837 half dollars, all are rare except 2/B and 3/C, which are German silver. I don't know which variety yours is. 2/B and 3/C have sold between $11 and $62 dollars at auction, your example looks like a nice one.