• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions please

13 posts in this topic

Interesting reverse die crack. Pretty dark, and the reverse, in particular, shows evidence of a botched cleaning. I think that it will come back in a BB if set to PCGS or NGC (in terms of value on the basis of wear alone, it's a borderline case for slabbing anyway).

Interesting reverse die crack. Pretty dark, and the reverse, in particular, shows evidence of a botched cleaning. I think that it will come back in a BB if set to PCGS or NGC (in terms of value on the basis of wear alone, it's a borderline case for slabbing anyway).

The reverse is what got to me.

Thanks for the imput,

Ray

Very close to AU details, but the surfaces are rather severely altered, probably from an extensive dip. It's possible the coin's been spot tooled as well. I'd value it around VF-30 or so.

Here is where i'm a total rookie....the shield looks very well defined along with "Liberty", how the heck do I know the coin has been tooled?

Thanks again,

Ray

"Here is where i'm a total rookie....the shield looks very well defined along with "Liberty", how the heck do I know the coin has been tooled?"

Look above the eagle---you will see fine scratches, some nearly parallel. These are what another poster referred to as spot tooling, and are the result of someone taking a pick and running its tip back and forth over a spot on the coin (to remove encrustation or abrade a dark spot). Tool marks are bad news, and will result in a body bag (BB) if a coin with them is sent to PCGS or NGC. This kind of work on a coin results in a 'problem coin,' and its value should be sharply discounted.

I would not buy this coin even if its price were discounted by 50-80%. If you buy a problem coin, it will be a problem coin when you try to sell it. What goes around, comes around.

Whoever bought it got it, i would say at a fair price, seeing as he bid that and all but i would value it at approx. Good -$225.00 - VF -$375.00. So based upon what you paid for it, did it work out for you? Me personally, if i had bought it, it would have went into a book. Not really something i would want to look at on a daily basis.

but it is still a nice coin for the $280.00 that was spent on it.

JaDunlap