• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SBA help please

5 posts in this topic

I have a question regarding the Type II 1981 S SBA $ coin. I took the first set of pics from a Coin World article by a staff member. The second 's' pic is of an SBA I have. I didn't think it was a type II but looking at this Coin world article it may be. Your opinions please. Thanks.

1981Scomparison.jpg

This is an SBA I have.

1981sSBACLOSEUP.jpg

The 1981 Types are very hard to distinguish with out proper magnification and then the subtle differences can be pretty amazing. Looking at your magnified Mint Mark, it has all the diagnostics and appears to be a Type I

1981exam.jpg

your example (note the flattened end of the lower serif and the entire crested body of the letter)

81ty1-1.jpg

1981 Type I (note the flattened end of the lower serif and the entire crested body of the letter)

81ty2.jpg

1981 Type II (note the rounded end of lower serif and the rather rounded contour of the letter)

1981exam.jpgend of lower serif flat81ty1-1.jpg

Note: If I am incorrect with this analysis, I will stand corrected...hope this helps.