• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

grade me please!

20 posts in this topic

VG-7 for the half dollar, Fine-12 for the dime.

Both have been cleaned at one time, but in these grades that less of a distraction. Uncleaned, attractive examples are worth more even though they are in the same grade. Grade is only one factor in determining value. Eye appeal counts too.

VG-7 for the half dollar

That's a bizzare grade. Care to elaborate?

What is bizarre about it?

The Sheldon scale uses numbers 7, 8 and 10 for VG graded coins. This piece has parts of two or three letters in the word “LIBERTY” showing. It is not a very pretty example of the VG grade. I wish I still had some around, but I’ve seen some very attractive VG graded Seated half dollars that ran circles around this one. Such coins had an attractive warm gray toning to that is hallmark of an original uncleaned old silver coin. As such I gave it the lowest number for a VG graded coin.

VG-7 for the half dollar

The Sheldon scale uses numbers 7, 8 and 10 for VG graded coins.

It does? That's news to me.

VG-7 for the half dollar

It does? That's news to me.

Yep. Check out page 41 in Penny Whimsey.

VG-7 for the half dollar

I can honestly say I've never seen the grade 7 used. Ever. However, you have more years, experience, knowledge, and wisdom than me, so I will defer to you.

You don't see a lot of low grade coins in slabs. Usually if they are in slabs they are rare dates.

Looking in the PCGS grading guide, they only use 8 and 10 for VG coins. But Sheldon also used 7. Copper collectors use it as well for grading their raw cents and half cents.

You don't see a lot of low grade coins in slabs. Usually if they are in slabs they are rare dates.

Looking in the PCGS grading guide, they only use 8 and 10 for VG coins. But Sheldon also used 7. Copper collectors use it as well for grading their raw cents and half cents.

Ah, see, I generally try to stay away from copper. The stuff scares me: it's too reactive, and I've always lived in the hot and humid south. Thanks for explaining.

Ah, see, I generally try to stay away from copper. The stuff scares me: it's too reactive, and I've always lived in the hot and humid south. Thanks for explaining.

Old, uncleaned naturally toned copper is not nearly as bad you think it is. I live in Florida, and I've no problems with my copper coins since I moved here four years ago. The secrets are steady temperatures common sense for storing. I've never had a brown copper coin go bad on me in almost 50 yeras of collecting.

BUT if you have red copper, or even worse cleaned copper, life might not be much fun. (shrug)

I use the grade "VG-7" on occasion with silver, and also occasionally "G-5" and the esoteric F-11. The classic scenario is with some issues of Barber half dollars.

Take a 1914, for example. It has a large price spread in grades from AG-3 to F-12. It is also an issue that Philadephia produced with a pretty consistent level of quality. Therefore, if you have a coin with three letters of LIBERTY, it's a VG-8, and seven letters yields F-12. What if there are exactly four letters? Why not VG-9? Five letters gets you to VG-10, which is what NGC and PCGS evidently go by, and then six letters should be F-11.

Two letters can be VG-7, and a single letter G-6. I'll sometimes use G-5 to indicate a Barber half with no LIBERTY at all, but full rims, which is an extremely difficult coin to locate for some issues.

The Sheldon scare was originally set up as an evaluation system. Sheldon assigned a basal value to each variety of early large cent. A Basal State grade coin was an undamaged piece that was very worn, but still attributable to a Sheldon variety. The coin did not need to have a readable date, and indeed I found that I could attribute large cents, even those from 1802 and 1803, the two most common dates, even if the date was not readable.

All one needed to do was multiply the basal value by the Sheldon grade number and you had a retail value for the coin. Sheldon’s system broke down almost immediately. Condition census, finest known, examples were the hardest to evaluate because big collectors even back then were intensely competitive whenever such coins came to market. Ultimately the whole evaluation system proved to be unworkable, but the number scale for grades remained.