• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A pair of dies...

8 posts in this topic

About 2 years ago I picked up a very nice 1944-D Jefferson nickel that I currently have in my registry set. (Link to coin). This coin has two distinctive marks that can be used to identify the die pair it was struck from (it may have more, but these are obvious to me). (1) On the obverse there is a faint but noticable die crack that runs from behind Jefferson's eye, down the cheek to behind the smile crease of the mouth. On the reverse, there is a fain die crack that begins at the right roof dihedron (third roof angle from the left) and travels down to the top of the third pillar. These are very tough to see in the scans, especially the reverse crack.

A few months ago, I bought an entire MS set of Jeffersons in a Wayte Raymond album. In it were some nice wartime Jeffs that I recently had graded. One was a 1944-D. Much to my surprise upon close inspection, this coin was a perfect die pair match for my registry coin! cool.gif (See the reverse image attached). The only difference was that the cracks had become a bit more pronounced and the reverse crack had especially widened. I spied this last night and about had a fit of joy!

Such a wide displacement of time and place for these two coins to then come together! cloud9.gif

Sorry the scans don't show things too well, but they should be discernable.

Hoot

589a8b30278b2_262587-1944-DJeff5cMS66fsPCGSrev.jpg.01d4450d545e4d153c5f69994622c5c2.jpg

That's pretty cool. smile.gifthumbsup2.gif I don't know if that has ever happened to me, but, I don't think it has moved me enough to look through all my Washington quarters. Of course, I know I've never written the phrase

...right roof dihedron...
I would infer that you are some sort of dork if it weren't for the fact that we have the same degree in the same field! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

That's pretty cool. smile.gifthumbsup2.gif I don't know if that has ever happened to me, but, I don't think it has moved me enough to look through all my Washington quarters. Of course, I know I've never written the phrase
...right roof dihedron...
I would infer that you are some sort of dork if it weren't for the fact that we have the same degree in the same field! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gif

Dorkus maximus (Bush) insane.gif893whatthe.gifstooges.gif

Markus hooteni acclaim.gif

Now, git ta werk on them thar two-bitses. insane.gif

Aye-aye, Cap'n!

You know, I really can't argue with you as I have two browsers open at the moment; one to this forum and another downloading a pdf of an article from The Journal of Virology and titled "ATP-Dependent Simian Virus 40 T-Antigen-Hsc70 Complex Formation". 893whatthe.gif

Supremus Dorkus Maximus! acclaim.gif

Aye-aye, Cap'n!

You know, I really can't argue with you as I have two browsers open at the moment; one to this forum and another downloading a pdf of an article from The Journal of Virology and titled "ATP-Dependent Simian Virus 40 T-Antigen-Hsc70 Complex Formation". 893whatthe.gif

Supremus Dorkus Maximus! acclaim.gif

ssp. greattoniei

Please stop monkeying around! tongue.gifgrin.gif I knew you were virile but not with your Aunti Gen. Too complex. I have no more energy for this. sorry.gif

Hootoneaster badpunnei

Please stop monkeying around! I knew you were virile but not with your Aunti Gen. Too complex. I have no more energy for this.

Hootoneaster badpunnei

893applaud-thumb.gif

That was very good! It made me ill it was so good! 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif