• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

neat 2x2's

14 posts in this topic

hello all.

i have a lot of coins in 2x2 mylar that are extras or coins that i don't want in a particular album for one reason or another and i want to re-do them in the 2x2's. i would like to make them more legible than they are now. i have a lot with writing and or printing on the holder which doesn't look very neat. i was wondering if there is such a thing as an adjustable rubber stamp gizmo mainly for coin descriptions, such as a grade or the type of coin etc. this would make the holder look much better than free hand writing or printing the description.............especially with my penmanship. any advice out there? thanks in advance.

steve

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Years ago dealers sold rubber stamps that had adjustable denominations, dates, mintmarks and grades (pre-numeric grading). The characters were on rubber treads that could be advanced with gear-like wheels, and the stamp had a wooden handle. A standard ink pad was used, so you could apply the information in any color desired. I used one of these in the 1970s, but the handle eventually broke. I can't recall the last time I saw one for sale, but it must have been more than 20 years ago.

Are you morally opposed to flips instead of 2X2s I found some nice laser insert sheets for flips at brent-krueger.com. for 2x2 I buy some small avery labels and just stick them on the bottom of the 2x2, I have to use a smaller font, but it's legible.

Years ago dealers sold rubber stamps that had adjustable denominations, dates, mintmarks and grades (pre-numeric grading). The characters were on rubber treads that could be advanced with gear-like wheels, and the stamp had a wooden handle. A standard ink pad was used, so you could apply the information in any color desired. I used one of these in the 1970s, but the handle eventually broke. I can't recall the last time I saw one for sale, but it must have been more than 20 years ago.

I still have one of these. I used it to the point that the rubber treads would not turn anymore. It was a great tool at the time. Printing labels seems like a great idea.

I still have one of these. I used it to the point that the rubber treads would not turn anymore. It was a great tool at the time. Printing labels seems like a great idea.

When I worked part-time in a grocery store in the early 60's I learned that you could prolong the life of any stamper by taking it apart and cleaning everything with alcohol. A lot of gunk can build up on the underside of the rubber tread and it needs to be removed. Once you've cleaned everything, apply a little lubricant to the moving parts and the underside of the tread to keep it from drying out and it is as good as new.

Chris

When I worked part-time in a grocery store in the early 60's I learned that you could prolong the life of any stamper by taking it apart and cleaning everything with alcohol. A lot of gunk can build up on the underside of the rubber tread and it needs to be removed. Once you've cleaned everything, apply a little lubricant to the moving parts and the underside of the tread to keep it from drying out and it is as good as new.

Chris

I'll bet that was a Garvy you had in hand. :)

Chris

I'll bet that was a Garvy you had in hand. :)

No, it was an ink stamper. :insane:

Chris

thanks everyone for the suggestions. i think the label maker will do the trick. they have a tape available to fit the machine that makes labels for cd's and i think that will work for the 2x2's since it isn't laminated. i have my eye on a brother pt-1280 model that i found on my simon.

steve

My father simply had rubber stamps made at the local office supply for many of the freqently needed items. They didn't cost that much, and he could get them with exactly what he wanted on them.