• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1870-S underrated?

7 posts in this topic

I was just leafing thru the very interesting book "100 Greatest US Coins" and it struck me as interesting that the 1870-S Seated Liberty dollar is stuck in the back at number 84. It's even ranked behind four other Seated Liberty dollars [1866 no motto, 1851-O proof, and the 1851 & 1852]!

I consider this coin to be the rarest circulation strike dollar in existance. Why does it not get its due?

I don't agree on any number of their rankings, just going to show how subjective the process is. Nice list of coins, though. I rather consider it an unordered list with nice vignettes on each coin.

Hoot

Mike,

I agree with you. I think the whole coin industry is inconsistant. Even the red, and black books have many coins in them that don't have justified prices.

Many coins in these books are underated. Collectors should complain, and show that they give a hoot.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Unfortunately, coins are not always valued or desired by their rarity alone. Look at such pieces like the 1913 Liberty nickel or 1804 dollars, while they are rare, there are other US coins even rarer than those two, but they don't have the popularity and 'story' to go along with them.

Other than the 1870-S $3.00 gold, I feel one of the most underrated US coins is the 1825/4 $5.00 gold, an amazing rarity but I don't think it's a very popular or 'storied' coin, and probably would bring nowhere near what other far less rare coins would bring at auction these days.

I guess like they say, you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.

dragon