• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sticking my toe back into the water...

13 posts in this topic

OK, I haven't been collecting coins for some time now, but I believe prices have been coming down for years (relative to when I was into collecting!). PLease help me with a couple of good coin related websites to get caught up on the latest prices, sources, etc. Also, what's the scoop on the different grading companies?

My interests run through the more recent silver coins in uncirculated condition.

Thanks in advance!

acclaim.gif

Mike

Hi Mike, prices have been rising for the past several years, especially for extraordinary material. You should probably read the threads on this site and also get Coin World, Numismatic News, Coins Magazine or some other hobby news vehicle. You might want to check out the Heritage website to see the price levels of many coins and PCGS has a daily price guide but I don't know how up to date it is.

What series are you interested mostly in?

I think I would like to start buying some silver dollars. I never had the money for them in the past, so it would be nice to get some nice silver dollars--Peace and Morgan.

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

Like Tom said, subscribe to CoinWorld, Numismatic News, Coinage, and Coins (magazine). PCGS website has a pricelist updated daily, which is fairly decent for accuracy, on the higher grades MS65 and up it gets really loose on specific types. If you're looking to get into silver dollars this may be your renaissance, especially Morgans. They're pretty hot now and prices seem to me to be reasonable in the MS63 and lower grades. Generally Brilliant Uncirculated grades are readily available. Peace dollars are so-so, actually cold, in my opinion. I like them better than Morgans. I feel they are undervalued and time will show that there are not nearly as many around as morgans, but that's a whole different story.

I would suggest you do not buy so called BU Morgans sight unseen unless you get a bunch of recommendations. Many mail order and Ebay BU Morgans may come BU, but, full of bag marks, and many are 'sliders,' (coins that ought to be AU-55 or 58), but are past as uncirculated, (MS-60+).

Hope this helps you get started. You have come to the right place. I've only been using these boards for a couple weeks and I've learned alot I didn't know, and have been corrected on some that I thought I did.

Good Luck, Welcome Back

Rob

Rob,

What about buying raw versus graded coins? I assume the graded coins would be safe... What grading companies are best?

Thanks for your advice!

Mike

Well, if sight unseen then graded slabs are your safest best. However, if there is no photos you could risk getting a toned coin if you want white, and white if you liked toned.

The best graders are probably:NGC and PCGS. ANACS is ok to me too.

I'd suggest you hit several shows and looked at slabbed coins until you think you have the nuances down for grading. From there you should be ok with grading, not an expert, but ok. Also, try to find some reliable firms.

I like Millers Mint. millersmint.com

They grade excellently, very accurate and trustworthy to me. They're the only ones I buy from thru the mail.

Rob

www.pinnacle-rarities.com

www.whitlowltd.com

www.legendcoin.com

www.hlrc.com

www.coinfacts.com

www.coingrading.com

www.heritagecoin.com

www.ecoinage.com

www.greysheet.com

the morgans as in past bull markets are usually the first to go but who knows with this internet thing and all the new mint products creating such new collector demand

good luck with coins

i myself would stay away from morgans and get into 19 century/ up to 1945 type coins

or the early commems

proof or business strike or like a nice xf xf/au set of 19 century type post 1860 or even a cc set of different cc mintmarked coins

but not telling you what to do you juast asked for some suggestions some food for thought

like what you buy buy what you like!

michael

262119-09half.jpg.d6c2970a641a4f662f647665d808b588.jpg