• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1826 coronet lg cent error/new pic of obverse

18 posts in this topic

I'm just throwing out a guess here, so don't take it as gospel.

Looks to be a double struck piece with the first strike 50% off center. Plachet appears to be double clipped, but it's a little tough to tell those from pics when they aren't quite round.

The obv appears to have only been struck once... hm

Struck through a capped die on the first strike? (shrug)

I'd say it is real. First struck 50% off center then struck normally the second time. It shows all of the characteristics of a genuine double strike.

The obv appears to have only been struck once...

xjack is wrong about this. Note the line through the T in LIBERTY down to the ear and the curved line below and slightly to the right of the ear. The line is the profile of the nose and the curved line is the chin of the Liberty from the first strike.

I can't tell for sure but I think the double clips may be real as well.

NGC would not grade this because of the heavy cleaning this coin has received in the past. ANACS would grade it as a problem piece.

"You might want to contact, Coin World, or Coneca. They would study it, and attribute it " if it is legitimate.."

Richard, what is that? remember me a newbie ;0)

Conder, thats what i was thinking, ive sent in errors to NCS and they just incased them, but didnt know about this one, because it was so old and rare,,,

do you guys think its worth anything?

thank you for all your help!

LeeAnn

"Double Struck" simple means a coin was struck by the coin dies more than just once. There are instances of triple struck coins but that's a whole other theory about how those happen.

In simplicity, the coin presses in1826 were nothing more than a giant screw press. The tails (reverse) die was on the bottom, stationary as the anvil and the heads (obverse) side was on the moveable screw. A blank coin (planchet) was placed into the well of the anvil die and by turning the screw, the heads die was lowered which squeezed together on the copper blank. The two dies exerted enough force to form the blank copper planchet into a coin with all the raised surfaces know as the devices.

This had to have been a very monotonous job for the Mint workers because not much was automated at the time, so an error of this nature would probably not have been caught. There was however an automatic feed system in place by 1826 so during the feeding process a new blank planchet was miss fed, struck off center and then was never ejected. The press head was lowered again making the second centered strike on the coin.

This particular coin is somewhat of a conundrum since most second strikes are the ones that are off center and lay on top of the centered strike, the exact reverse of what happened to this coin.

What you have is considered an error coin.

Note: a "restrike" is usually associated with a set of dies from a particular year where coins are minted with those same dies years, even decades later.

hhmmmm you seem very knowledgeable on coins and how they are made,,,,

I think its very unusual and interresting, thinking on what went on "way back then" during its active lifetime

thank you soooo much for everyones help! maybe i can at least get it sent in to NCS for conserving....

LeeAnn

xjack is wrong about this. Note the line through the T in LIBERTY down to the ear and the curved line below and slightly to the right of the ear. The line is the profile of the nose and the curved line is the chin of the Liberty from the first strike.

Good catch! I never noticed it when I first looked!