• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Submitting coins to the CAC...any downside?

13 posts in this topic

Hypothetically speaking, of course ;) , if one were in the process of liquidating a collection of better date, upper middle end coins (most in the $2000 to $10,000 price range), would it be better to have the coins CAC-certified or not at this point in time?

We do not know much about the price structure at this time, but for the sake of argument, let's assume that the cost is very reasonable and the turnaround is quick.

I don't see any downside except for the direct and indirect costs of the stickering.

One issue would be if the people that are interested in the coins are vocal against the CAC. I'm not sure this is the case, hypothetically ;)

The only downside I can see is that if one were offereing a number of these coins in the same place, the non-stickered coins might be questioned...Mike
That's a good point. I was assuming they would all be stickered but there's no reason for that assumption.

Who really knows what trips the triggers of collectors i.e. First Strike, First Release, Early Release or any other moniker assigned to a coin. It is only a name someone applied to a coin and has nothing to do with the actual physical timing of the minting of any coin from any particular die set…so where does the CAC sticker exactly fit into the scheme of things?

As a secondary market enhancer, we as collectors have allowed companies to examine and certify authenticity and to place a numerical grade upon our coins to eliminate any possibilities of faults and to hopefully increase the value at the same time.

With the inception of another tier of examination, I feel it is up to the individual collector at this time to either embrace this idea or to reject it, but to leave a door open for further study.

The only down side I can see at this time is if you submit say 20 coins and only 12 sticker, your efforts may have increased the value of 12 coins, but you have also inadvertently decreased the value of your other 8 coins.

When time comes to liquidate, those 8 are going to be under more scrutiny that the stickered slabs and just might hold the initial asking vs. the final negotiated price lower than expected.

People in general prefer balance as opposed to random chaos, so I’m sure anything out of the ordinary is going to provoke a buyers wariness.

Right now it may be a double edge sword with instances as such…only time will tell if this operation is accepted into the hobby.

The CAC sticker will insult many collectors, but that is for basically the same reason that a slab would. When you try to sell certified coins to some collectors, the presence of the grade might say to them: It's certified, so your opinion doesn't matter. The CAC sticker will say the same thing to them: I have so-and-so's approval on this coin, so your opinion doesn't matter.

I think this applies most strongly to collectors of early issues, particularly early copper, and frankly, I can understand why. I personally would not blindly trust the opinion of a third-party grading service - much less a FOURTH-party grading service - for such coins.

There's also going to be the automatic negative connotation that usually tags along with a coin for which extra money has been paid for extra grading opinions. In other words, given two coins, identical except that one is certified, many collectors will give preference to the uncertified example because of the impression that it would cost less, not being tagged with the extra expense and baggage of certification.

Of course, probably a majority of collectors - those who are unable or unwilling to think for themselves and determine their own grade and evaluation will have the opposite take on this. They will gladly pay more for more opinions. I happen to think that's unfortunate below a certain financial threshold.

Personally, I will not pay any extra for a CAC sticker, period. I will pay more for a premium coin, though. I just don' t like others - especially "anonymous" others - deciding for me what is premium and what isn't.

The only down side I can see at this time is if you submit say 20 coins and only 12 sticker, your efforts may have increased the value of 12 coins, but you have also inadvertently decreased the value of your other 8 coins.

When time comes to liquidate, those 8 are going to be under more scrutiny that the stickered slabs and just might hold the initial asking vs. the final negotiated price lower than expected.

One solution might be to sell the unstickered coins in a different venue so they don't stand out in comparison to the stickered coins.

Robert---- If I were selling coins in the 2 to 10,000 dollar range [which I have done], it would be at a Major auction. That would be my venue. In that case, I do not think that having the 'extra' CAC sticker would hurt at all---as it should bring 'some' extra premium.

However, I do agree with Perry Hall that you might be better off selling the coins that do not acquire the CAC sticker at another venue. That venue, for me, would be 'another' Major auction----just at a different time and a different location [ say one in New York or Baltimore----with a second one in California or Florida].

However, if the owner wanted to sell a complete set of coins----where the prestige of selling ALL the coins together was desired---then forget the CAC and go with the PCGS or NGC coins as they are currently probably slabbed. Bob [supertooth]

Here are my thoughts:

If the coins can be stickered at low cost and quick turnaround, it is worth considering. If the vast majority of the coins sticker, one can use that as a marketing tool. If the majority of coins do not sticker, one could either peel stickers or not market that the coins are CAC-approved and allow the buyer to keep or peel the sticker.

Once the sticker is on the slab, I personally do not see the downside. The people who have been the most vocal again against the CAC are the ones who generally are the ones least likely to be affected--at least that has been my observation.

As for my own collection, the coins that are high-end will be priced like high-end coins. The sticker would not change the price asked in any way. Those who use Greysheet as an absolute cut-off to decide whether or not they should buy them should probably not bother looking.

On the other hand, assuming I submit to the CAC, if some of the coins that I think are high-end did not sticker, I might reconsider and offer them at lower prices than they would have otherwise.

Will NGC slab them with a Three Rivers Collection pedigree?

Considering that the vast majority of the coins are in PCGS holders, I sincerely doubt it. ;)

Thanks for the comments.

RYK

Robert, what will you do when some of the coins you consider low-end do get stickered?

I did not buy/keep any "low-end" coins.

Well if you need any I got a boat load..

Mostly Morgans and they are common as dirt..

There is absolutely Nothing wrong with Low End coins..

(thumbs u