• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade opinion-lincoln cent please

13 posts in this topic

The coin has a rub on Lincoln's cheek and jaw. It is an AU coin. There is no way that coin is an Mint State piece. People could argue the point for a later Lincoln when the hubs were were worn and the portrait lacked detail. But even there a coin like this would still show a rub, NOT a weak strike.

Jim, on the accompanying image, I circled in red the areas that show wear. In purple, I circled areas that are dings that could not have been caused by contact with other coins, but instead must have been caused by sharp objects - objects which would be found in people's pockets, not in mint bags. These are the factors that, in combination with lack of luster, cause the coin to grade only AU.

junk2166.jpg

Its an XF at best even an AU has to have some lustor and this coin has been striped/cleaned and retoined IMO; disclamer, that opinion is baised on these pics. As to how bad did you do that depends on how much you spent and what your purpose is, good for an album not good to have slabbed.

I`d give it an AU-58 . Reason being it appears to show a slight amount of wear or rub to the cheek and jaw area. Just an observation from the photos provided. Very nice piece. That I think ever so slightly just misses Mint State. Well, there`s my 2c worth. Sorry, I guess that was twice as much as was necessary ! ;)