• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Slab Trivia

18 posts in this topic

There is one particular detail about this NGC slabbed Proof 1964 Kennedy that is unusual.

Can you name what that is?

(I'll confirm the right answer a bit later and if no one gets it, will reveal the answer then.)

oldngc1.jpgoldngc2.jpg

Good luck!

It was slabbed before NGC would accept modern (1964-present) issues for certification.
All good guesses, but Tom is spot on. NGC, when they opened their doors in 1987 would not accept for certification and slabbing post 1964 coins.

Even when they eventually did, they would not include them in their population report for quite a few months afterward.

The Kennedy shown was graded (according to David Lange) sometime within the first few days of NGC's start and probably right around the time they were ironing out their policy on what to accept and what to reject.

I can't imagine, at the high cost of grading back then and the low value of 1964 proof Kennedys, too many were submitted before NGC came upon their policy to not holder these coins at all.

By the time NGC did begin grading post 1964 coins (they were especially reluctant with post 1964 proof coins!) the holder/insert had gone through a couple of changes making this Kennedy somewhat a novelty and scarce NGC item.

The Kennedy shown was graded (according to David Lange) sometime within the first few days of NGC's start and probably right around the time they were ironing out their policy on what to accept and what to reject.

During the second month, This is an NGC 3 holder, scarce to rare even with a pre-modern coin in the holder.

Is this the one I bought from you years ago Braddick or another one you found?

Cameron Kiefer

Surprisingly, it's another one.

Do you still have yours? I'd love to own it again.