• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My other Proof-Only 3CN

25 posts in this topic

For cripes sake Prethen that's another beauty!! (thumbs u

You must have one heck of a CN3 cent set. IIRC you are in need of an '84 and '85, any others you need to complete the set?

Ray

If you mean, having all dates and including business strikes and Proofs together, I guess the only one really missing is 1877. I have no intention of pursuing that one anytime soon. The only business strikes I'm missing is 1884 and 1885. I don't hold out a lot of hope that either will come my way soon. I'm missing 9 out of 25 of the Proofs.

For cripes sake Prethen that's another beauty!! (thumbs u

You must have one heck of a CN3 cent set. IIRC you are in need of an '84 and '85, any others you need to complete the set?

Ray

If you mean, having all dates and including business strikes and Proofs together, I guess the only one really missing is 1877. I have no intention of pursuing that one anytime soon. The only business strikes I'm missing is 1884 and 1885. I don't hold out a lot of hope that either will come my way soon. I'm missing 9 out of 25 of the Proofs.

You have all proofs except 9 of them? doh!

Good luck on the '77, might be the key to completing your set.

If you ever want to give up on it you can pass the torch to me, OTOH, I don't think I could come up with the dough.

Never mind,

Ray

I've seen many 1886's and most do not have anywhere as nice mirrors as this one.

1886%203CN%20-%20NGC%20PR65%20-%20Obverse%20-%202.jpg1886%203CN%20-%20NGC%20PR65%20-%20Reverse%20-%202.jpg

looks good and it is above average and scarce compaired to many of them but i have seen way WAY better..................

I've seen many 1886's and most do not have anywhere as nice mirrors as this one.

1886%203CN%20-%20NGC%20PR65%20-%20Obverse%20-%202.jpg1886%203CN%20-%20NGC%20PR65%20-%20Reverse%20-%202.jpg

looks good and it is above average and scarce compaired to many of them but i have seen way WAY better..................

Now i'm curious Mike. :baiting:

Can you post some images of your CN3 cent pieces?

Thanks in advance,

Ray

i am sorry all sold some years ago..................

i had a killer strong cameo monster deeply mirrored that heritage said it was the best they had ever seen

in a proof 66 holder

but i kept no photos

usually the typical 1886 usually has little mirrors and prethans coin is super great but on occasion even today i have seen much better but they are few and far between............... huge mintage and proof only dare but rare in gem+ with killer mirrors and cameo the one i had was mint tissue ice blue toned to boot then it is really unbelievable rare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

i had the only graded ultra cameo gem 1871 but this went bye bye a couple of years ago still a pop one and the only one certified still after 6+ years and only a few cameoes as this date is one of the rarest in cameo let alone deep cameo

three cent nicks in proof and business strike and depending on the way the coin looks

truly the last frontier of numismatics....................

think they are not popular ?? well then buy a killer deeply mirrored gem+ 1886 or a monster cameoed 1871 in gem proof

or even a killer vf to xf unc. business sttrike 1875 and you will see instant demand and off the chart selling prices

in fact a mnonster cool set to get would be an earilier circ set and even the 1876 centinnal date is really scarce+ in an original problem free great eye appeal gem circ grade!! and again in demand and off the chart selling prices

the problem is with lal of the above go try to find them................................

again these coins are a sleeping giant to be awakened from sleep

and some dates as suggested as per the above in proof and business strike with certain qualities have great in demand saleability now

but you got to specialize and as bowers suggests in his columns in coin world

you got to be a wise choosy collector selecting for opportunity value and in some of the last frontiers of numismatics

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am sorry all sold some years ago..................

i had a killer strong cameo monster deeply mirrored that heritage said it was the best they had ever seen

in a proof 66 holder

but i kept no photos

usually the typical 1886 usually has little mirrors and prethans coin is super great but on occasion even today i have seen much better but they are few and far between............... huge mintage and proof only dare but rare in gem+ with killer mirrors and cameo the one i had was mint tissue ice blue toned to boot then it is really unbelievable rare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

i had the only graded ultra cameo gem 1871 but this went bye bye a couple of years ago still a pop one and the only one certified still after 6+ years and only a few cameoes as this date is one of the rarest in cameo let alone deep cameo

three cent nicks in proof and business strike and depending on the way the coin looks

truly the last frontier of numismatics....................

think they are not popular ?? well then buy a killer deeply mirrored gem+ 1886 or a monster cameoed 1871 in gem proof

or even a killer vf to xf unc. business sttrike 1875 and you will see instant demand and off the chart selling prices

in fact a mnonster cool set to get would be an earilier circ set and even the 1876 centinnal date is really scarce+ in an original problem free great eye appeal gem circ grade!! and again in demand and off the chart selling prices

the problem is with lal of the above go try to find them................................

again these coins are a sleeping giant to be awakened from sleep

I'm going have to disagree with you about "huge mintages" Michel... I don't see it.

Prethen has lots and lots of '75's (he has more '75's than I have CN3 cent pieces) and all but 9 of the proofs, I think Prethen knows what he is talking about and this series is right up his ally. God only knows how many CN3 centers he has!

I for one am sorry I did not start a set years ago.

Ray

PS Your post is kinda hard for me to understand. (shrug)

and some dates as suggested as per the above in proof and business strike with certain qualities have great in demand saleability now

but you got to specialize and as bowers suggests in his columns in coin world

you got to be a wise choosy collector selecting for opportunity value and in some of the last frontiers of numismatics

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I buy what is attrctive to me, the CN3 cent pieces are a very handsome coin and undervalued to me.

Ray

PS Your post is kinda hard for me to understand. (shrug)

Michael has little regard for punctuation, grammer, or complete sentences, but he knows his coins. I respect his knowledge, and he has a true eye for beauty. We would all do well to learn from him.

Michael, if I read your response correctly, you're saying that my 1886 Proof 3CN is towards the bottom of the heap of 1886 Proof 3CN you've seen? Okay, perhaps I have blinders on and haven't noticed them in inventories I've missed.

I'm not saying mine is the best out there. I was just saying that for the grade, it's above average for eye appeal. Yes, I've seen some gorgeous cameos and PF66-67's. Personally, I prefer mirrors, and even the higher grade ones don't necessarily have the mirrors all there like this one.

Now, you might have owned a couple of amazing Proofs at one time, but were any the 1886?

oh my i did not want to ruffle any feathers

i love your three cent nick bruce it is above average but i have seen some killer monster mirrored strongl;y cameoed pieces that have besat out most of waht i see for 1886 that is all

raybo i never voilated you when i went into your pm box

all i did was wanted to make the comment about the 20 dollar gold coin you where looking at on ebay i said it is slider au and cleaned i did not think i violated you in youyr pm box

but i will not pm you again sorry

did not know but pm you about the twenty dollar gold on another thread you posted a questionon i did not think i violated you??????

anyways the 1886 for me has a huge mintage for proofs in the late 19th century

as they are always aVAILABLE FOR SAle in gem proof grade

yes the only one i had was a killer superb gem proof ddeply mirrored strongly cameoed coin with trhe mint tissue blue toning

i rarely ever see deeply mirrored 1886 coins

but lots of 1886 proofs

since i am spolied and only want the best this is why after 40+ years or collecting i could only find 4 i loved and fit the bill as far as proofs are concerned but they all went to good adoptive homes as i could not care for them anymore

i am into something else currently

but they are dearly missed and not replaceable

such is life

sorry for the misunderstanding bruce

overall in mirrors and eyeappeal yours islike i said yesterday your 1886 is above average

and yes ray i can see you did not undersatand my post and took it out of context

such is life

i have my own style

again sorry for the pm to you i did not want to violate you with my pm to you

by sayingb to you thsat i thought the coin you asked a question about was a slider and cleaned saint 20 dollar gold piece

and yes ray i can see you did not undersatand my post and took it out of context

such is life

i have my own style

again sorry for the pm to you i did not want to violate you with my pm to you

by sayingb to you thsat i thought the coin you asked a question about was a slider and cleaned saint 20 dollar gold piece

Sorry if I was a bit gruff. :hi:

I thought your post about Prethens proof was a little berating, not all of us can buy the best and Prethens CN3 cent collection is no small accomplishment (at least for someone of my means).

Ray

p.s. Prethen's 1886 sure seems to have nicer mirrors than my '85 (although my photos don't do a good job of showing them -- this is one of the coins that REALLY needs to be reshot):

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

p.s. Prethen's 1886 sure seems to have nicer mirrors than my '85 (although my photos don't do a good job of showing them -- this is one of the coins that REALLY needs to be reshot):

medium.jpgmedium.jpg

Send it my way Mike....I need to brush up on my imaging skills. :kidaround:

Ray