• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Of Newps, Lessons Learned, and Appreciation...

13 posts in this topic

First off my appreciation to those of you who have helped me out on my re-entry into Numismatics over the last couple of years. It's hard to pick out individuals for special thanks but there is one in particular I would like to call out. Mr. Mark Feld. Mark has graciously taken the time to help answer my (often dumb) questions in a manner that has helped to educate me. He has not profited financially in any way from me as I've never bought a coin from him, (although some I wanted) yet he always took the time to help me out when I asked. Thank you Mark.

One of my "Lessons Learned" in the last 2 years is so easy to see in hindsight yet was so hard to see while I was actually in the middle of it. The lesson learned for me is the ability to focus on an area of numismatics to pursue. This was incredibily hard for me as I truly enjoy coins.... all coins. I didn't care if they were early classics or modern issues. If I liked them I bought them. To say that I had accumulated a diverse coin portfolio would have been an understatement. I have recently been selling quantity in order to acquire quality.

It was through this process that I did finally acquire the ability (for the most part) to focus my collecting activities into 2 primary areas. The first being an 1853 Circulated Year Set and the second being an Early Toned Commem Set.

Another lesson I learned.... a little too late was that PRIOR to deciding to focus on an area, you should educate yourself as to what the "STOPPERS" in that area are and determine if your numismatic budget matches the focus of your desires.

It was too late for me... I was already committed.

To complete an 1853 Circ Year Set (ex gold) is only achievable by any 3 individuals at any one point in time. There is the '53 No Arrows Half Dollar problem. You see... only 3 are known to exist. My Solution... ignore the NA Half and act like it doesn't exist ! With that being done there remains the problem of a couple coins for the set that while not "STOPPERS" ; certainly increase the cost and ability to complete the set. The '53 No Arrows -O Half Dime and the '53 No Arrows Quarter are "TOUGH" coins from a pricing as well as an availability standpoint.

A while back I was able to acquire a nice '53-O Half Dime from Brian Greer, and today I can announce that I have been able to acquire the '53 NA Quarter from Rich Uhrich. (checks in the mail Rich ;)).

I also was just able to acquire an upgrade for my set.. an '53 Trime pictured here. I'll continue the process of looking for upgrades to strive to improve upon my set.

So I doubt anybody read all of that BUT I felt the need to write it. Here are my 2 newest pieces that I will proudly be adding to my set. Comments both good and bad are always welcome, and feedback on the coins is appreciated. Thanks.

1853_NoArrows_PCGS_AU53_obv.jpg

1853_NoArrows_PCGS_AU53_rev.jpg

XIZWF-1853Trimewithgrade.jpg

jediQuiGonobiwankenobie.jpg

I believe I have mentioned this once before about you starting out as just a padawan collector,

always listening, learning and applying.

Open for enrichment and perseverance to this hobby.

IlMaestroYoda.jpg

A Master Jedi collector you will become soon?

We have followed your trail and along the way seen you make great strides in the right directions.

These additional coins only add positive re-enforcement that your path has not wavered.

Yet another fine example for the date year 1853

Be proud to own and cherish these additions.

:golfclap:

Congrates on the great purchases! The Coin Counsel will convene later this month and consider whether you have accomplished enough to be promoted to Master. ;)

Great job TX. Mark has helped many, many people-myself included. I'm sure that many more owe such a post to quite a few individuals on this forum. Very nice improvements.

Richard, thank you so much for your kind words. Helping in the ways that I could has been my sincere pleasure, and please feel free to keep those questions coming. By the way, I don't remember any "dumb" ones.

It is great to see that you have found a direction that suits you and that you are so obviously enjoying your collecting. And it is apparent from yous posts, as well as the images you posted here, that you have come a long way.

(thumbs u

That's a really nice 1853 Silver Three Cent piece! Most of the Type 1 trimes you see in Mint State holders don't look as nice as that piece. I'm sure that it was graded Unc. when Eliasberg bought it, probably back in the 1940s or '50s.

The idea of putting together a year set is intriguing. It so happens that as I’ve put together my type set, I now have five of the seven coins that make up a 1795 year dated set. I use the term “year dated set” because most of the plain edged cents of that year were probably struck in 1796. I’ll consider my set complete even if I don’t have the lettered edge half cent and large cent. As for the coins I’m missing, that would be the 1795 half cent and gold eagle. I owned a half way decent (VG to Fine) 1795 half cent years ago, but I’ve never owned the eagle.

Both coins are real challenge in today’s market. There was not a single higher grade (VF or better) Pole to Cap half cent on the bourse at the last EAC convention. And I’ve only seen one 1795 $10 gold recently at the Baltimore shows. That one was only EF despite the fact that it was in a AU-50 holder. If the coin has no luster and fair amount of wear, it’s not an AU!