• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show your pictures of your Old "Fattie" NGC holders!!!! or just comment on them.

22 posts in this topic

or is it fatty????

I have to say, for as much as I've said I didn't like the NGC holder, I really, REALLY like the old "fattie" holders.

There's something about them. They seem taller and more elegant, and I really like how they offset the coin. In fact, I don't think I'd ever move a coin out of an old NGC holder, I like them so much.

Hey, the old green PCGS holders have their charm too, but the old fattie holder takes it away :sumo:

I know I know...I'm not posting a pic. I'll put one up tommorrow, I promise!

I have no idea, Tom. The first one I posted is obviously the older of the two, and I call anything that doesn't fit in the slots well, a 'fatty' holder. Did Conder do a post once on something like this?

edited to add:

Conder's post on the PCGS board

Cameroon's site

Not sure what constitutes a "fatty", but I am guessing that they are the slabs prior to when the groove was added back in '97...

I have quite a few coins in those holders - my favorite being an 1885 seated dime that IMO is perhaps the finest seated dime in existance! :)

We are waiting for the pictures!!! :baiting:

Only 2 pics so far??

Here's a third, eh...

A nice cameo proof half in an old NGC slab that Mrs. B found in a half price bin at a coin show a little over six years ago for $19.

1962-half.jpg

The 1910-S Lincoln cent and 1864 two-cent piece are in NGC fatty holders of the generation without a hologram on the reverse, but with a gold, heat-stamped NGC logo. The 1947-S Washington and 1802 DBH are in NGC fatty holders that have no line between the paper insert and the coin, but that do have a hologram on the reverse. Credit for the images goes to Mike Printz (FinallyHere) of Whitlow, Ltd, who did a much better job of capturing the color of the first three coins that I did.

B1910SN65RDa.jpg

B1910SN65RDRa.jpg

C1864N65RD.jpg

C1864N65RDR.jpg

H1947SN67.jpg

H1947SN67R.jpg

I1802N45.jpg

I1802N45R.jpg

I think the ones with the all white label are the best out of these, kind of like The Beattles' White Album. The border and scales kind of detracts from the overall effect.