• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A couple of Seated Liberties. Feel free to grade and comment.

14 posts in this topic

I've been around and reading the boards when I could but I haven't posted much lately. Hopefully that will change soon and I will be able to get more involved. To catch up a little let me share a couple of relatively recent purchases. Both of these were bought on ebay, one slabbed and one raw. These are destined for my Dansco 7070. Let me know what you think.

44292-1853_s.jpg44293-1877-CC_s.jpg

I like the looks of both of them. The first one, the 1853 is a nice looking coin, is it the one that is graded? The second one is fine too, I especially like the reverse on it.

I would say the 1853 is AU 50-55 and the other is perhaps VF to EF 40. A lot of wear on the obverse of the 1877.

But again, I like them both, good additions,

Rey

Both of those coins are very nice, and will make nice addition to any collection.

Guessing on the grade:

1853 Half dime I will guess an AU with lot of things going on in the reverse and near the date.

1877 CC quarter I'm going with VF30

John :)

Thanks for the replies. I find the grades assigned interesting. The coin in the slab is the 1877-CC quarter and it's graded XF40 by the "new" ANACS. I didn't have any issues with the grade though most here think it's a bit lower. I don't have a lot of experience with the seted quarters and haven't bothered to check a grading guide yet, so it could be graded a bit optimistically, but I think it's original and attractive. Would you crack this one out for an album if you thought it was a VF30 and you paid XF40 money?

What's even more interesting is the coin that I bought raw, the 1853 half dime, was graded by the seller as XF-AU. Most graded this one higher than the sellers grade. I think it would likely get into an AU holder if submitted. I paid what is essentially XF45 money for it so I can't complain. The reverse shows evidence of multiple die clashes that have eroded with die wear. It still has fairly well struck detail considering the state of the die. The obverse shows traces of a die clash too and the date is a bit weak on the lower portions. There is still a good bit of luster around the devices.

It's been a while since I got a good deal on a raw coin on ebay, but then I haven't been buying raw much in the past few years. I've gotten some exceptional deals on raw coins a few years ago but they are next to impossible to find these days.

That CC is a nice 35 or 40, IMHO. I would have no problem cracking it. I really like that coin.

I don't like the dime, personally. Looks like a cleaned AU details coin to me.

That said, I think they will both look good in the Dansco, and thanks for sharing...MIke

At the "extremely fine" level, I would want to see all the feathers on the reverse, and the coin in question lacks detail on the right (observed) wing. That being said, I couldn't get a good feel for the luster on the coin. If in hand there actually is luster at the edges, then it might well be fully EF-40.

Regarding the half-dime, it does appear to have the necessary 25% or so remaining luster to qualify for EF-45.

I think that both are decent coins, and if they were purchased with type intentions, I wouldn't worry about the grade and just put them in the Dansco and have done with it.

That CC is a nice 35 or 40, IMHO. I would have no problem cracking it. I really like that coin.

I don't like the dime, personally. Looks like a cleaned AU details coin to me.

I will likely crack it. My plans for the set are to hold them for a long time, possibly passing them to my daughter, so I really just want a nice looking coin in the XF-AU grade range. If I over paid a bit it won't matter in a few decades. :)

As for the dime, it's a half dime. The coin does have a glossy look to it but no trace of hairlines. If it was cleaned it was a very gentle wash a long time ago.

At the "extremely fine" level, I would want to see all the feathers on the reverse, and the coin in question lacks detail on the right (observed) wing. That being said, I couldn't get a good feel for the luster on the coin. If in hand there actually is luster at the edges, then it might well be fully EF-40.

I don't think the quarter has any luster but I don't have it in hand to check again. If it does it is well hidden. Maybe I'll check the latest ANA grading guide and it will make me feel better than if I checked my old Photograde. (thumbs u