• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lil' complaint about the cherrypicker's guide

11 posts in this topic

to whom it may concern.. how about some prices for G-VF? the lower grades would be helpful :throwntomato:

there's all that room for em and everything.......................................................

what happened to the smilies?

foghorn-1.gif[font:Arial Black]Get out there and put those smileys back.[/font]36_11_6.gif

I finely thought I found a prize and it turns out to be a common coin, because the book made a mistake. The very first coin in the book in the Fourth Edition of the Cherrypickers' Guide. 1829,9 over3 (URS-2.I-5.L-5.) Bust Half dime that I bought, matching the exact photo, turns out to be a common half dime.

DSCN0712.jpg[/img]

I don't have the words to express my disappointment with this book.

John

I like the CPG. But, if I were to complain about the price guide, it would be to criticize the inclusion of any guide at all. It's less an analysis of prices paid in the market than (for the most part) a guess by a couple of people for each series what the coins could or should be worth.

He was given the straight info by some half dime experts on the PCGS forum. Basicly it is the right picture, but it is not a 9/3, and that obv die was used with three different reverses only one of which is rare, but the CPG doesn't mention that, it just references the obv die. He unfortunately has one of the common ones and not the rare one.

That can be a problem with the CPG, it is a general guide dabbling in specialized fields. If Fivas had still been involved with the project it probably would not have happened. Stanton does varieties, Fivas does die varieties.